Tarantula Substrate - Perfect Mix Potting Soil

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is "Perfect Mix All Purpose Potting Soil" ok to use as substrate... I dont wanna use dirt... but i dont know if the potting soil will harm the tarantulas... they come in tomorrow, so I have a little time. I just dont want the soil to kill them or have a chemical that will kill them.. here is a picture of the potting soil.

Here is a picture of the setup..

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
No. It lists not only a time-release fertilizer, but perlite, which is basically glass. Make sure your soil contains no pesticides or fertilizer.

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't use it either. Just run to the pet store and get some coco fiber. That'll work for now, then you can research the ideal mixture and make a batch of your own.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
IMO the best substrate is the cheap Schultz's Peat Moss that Wal Mart sells

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok... I will switch it out in the AM then... I will use soil from outside... We dont use any chemicals in our yard... we live out in the contry... so I will find some soft soil to use in the setups... I will post new pictures of the setups tomorrow...

Thanks for the help..

i dont want anything to go wrong with these guys...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Where are you in TX? I'm in Leander, a new Texan.

I usually use potting soil also, but I always check the ingredients to make sure there are no chemical additives. I find that yard dirt in my area gets really heavy and cakes easily.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok... I will switch it out in the AM then... I will use soil from outside... We dont use any chemicals in our yard... we live out in the contry... so I will find some soft soil to use in the setups... I will post new pictures of the setups tomorrow...

Thanks for the help..

i dont want anything to go wrong with these guys...
I wouldnt do that either.

Just go get yourself a bag of peat moss potting soil , the shultz brand. Or some coco fiber bricks.

They are dirt cheap (chuckles at pun) and perfect for your Ts.

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where are you in TX? I'm in Leander, a new Texan.
I usually use potting soil also, but I always check the ingredients to make sure there are no chemical additives. I find that yard dirt in my area gets really heavy and cakes easily.
I live in La Feria TX, deep South Texas... Near McAllen Texas... Much of the dirt in our area cakes easily too, but we have some spots, hard to find, but we have some spots where the dirt is mixed with a type of soil sand that is great and does not clump up as bad... Ill try that..

I wouldnt do that either.
Just go get yourself a bag of peat moss potting soil , the shultz brand. Or some coco fiber bricks.
They are dirt cheap (chuckles at pun) and perfect for your Ts.
Ill go to the pet store / walmart too to see if I can find the coco fiber brick / peat moss, if not, ill use the soil sand found here on the ranch.

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
We've got cow pies here!!! LOL
Well, when Brian comes out, y'all can make him a cow pie, and I'll make some mud pies. I DID tell him I was going to throw a big BBQ when he got here, so we'll entertain him Texas style!!!!;)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can get cow patties right here by my house! I aint gonna drive all the way to Tex just to get that :p

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I can get cow patties right here by my house! I aint gonna drive all the way to Tex just to get that :p
But ya WILL drive all the way out here just to visit us!!! Well, and to do a bunch of T & scorpion hunting, but mostly to visit us!!!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of course I would Terri! :)
How could I pass up an opportunity to give you a hard time? LOLOLOL :D.
I'll be sure to bring some of my hot peppers ;) Tell your old man I said howdy and am looking forward to seeing him again :)

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok... Ive changed the soil... I could not wait for tomorrow... I cleaned it all out and added the soil from outside... Its a mix of sandy soil, soil, and very fine twigs... have a look.. what do you think?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Next time you are in town go and buy a big bale of Peat Moss from some store, it will last you a very long time and works great. Probably nothing wring with what you have, but looking at the pics I would rather have peat.