Old Timer
multiple choice

EDIT: this is a poll for feeding T's not your other pets

"other" please define what you use

Last edited:

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep roaches and meal worms, but I feed much heavier from the roaches.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use discoids and lateralis, and sometimes i go to the pet store and get crickets just to mix it up... ihave colonys of both roach species....it works for me.:D :D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I think it would be more interesting to find out how many people use which species of roach. Everyone pretty much uses crickets. If I were writing it, this poll would have said:

what do you frequently use?

1. crickets
2. lobster roaches
3. Blatta lateralis
4. Blaptica dubia
5. Other roach species
6. other feeders

and make it multiple choice as this one was. I say frequently because lots of people will toss in the odd mouse, raw meat, or wild caught thing.

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
According to our local bylaws roaches are a no - no :wall: So for now it's crickets.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would also be itneresting to know which species people have used. For example right now I use only lobsters but I have used dubia and lateralis in the past and I'm plannign to get into lateralis again this spring.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It would also be itneresting to know which species people have used. For example right now I use only lobsters but I have used dubia and lateralis in the past and I'm plannign to get into lateralis again this spring.
well like i said i will have a folo up on roaches..

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use multiple feeders. It all depends on the size of invert, and what they prefer. I have some that will not touch a roach. Others love them.... Lobster and dubias

John

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
B dubia and B lateralis fed primarily apples, potatos, bread and catfood along with random scraps of whatever.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i would feed them crickets, but driving 30 min to the nearest pet store every week or so was getting annoying. thankfully, my loving father gave me a colony of dubia, and i couldn't be happier :D well, i COULD be happier, but as far as feeders go, i'm good ;P

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
crickets for now, until I feel like sneaking in a roach colony, which I'll probably do sometime in the next few months... I hate crickets, and I hate having to go out of my way to get them...

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been feeding crickets mostly, and fruit flies to my tiny slings (c. elegans slings, b. vagans, etc), but I've recently started a B. dubia colony to feed my Ts with since I can make sure they are healthier rather than depending on crickets from unknown sources. I haven't been able to find mealworms, but I do have some superworms that I feed as occasional treats to my bigger Ts as well. Eventually it will be mostly roaches though, with fruit flies for the tiniest ones.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah what's up with locusts anyway? I guess that's the feeder they use in the UK, right? Are they what we call grasshoppers? Do they eat plants? Why don't we ever see them in the US?

They seem like they would be like crickets but without the chirping and larger. That kind of sounds like an interesting feeder.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, I've been thinking about it. If what you are calling a locust is a grasshopper, then they would be able to jump way better than crickets and that would be really annoying in a feeder. And I bet they can fly too.

Not to mention they'd be really crunchy.

If locusts are grasshoppers, no one uses them because they are terrible feeders. :)