Ceratogyrus 'horns' with male/female

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just saw a picture of a male Ceratogyrus species. It didnt have a horn. Which raised the question, Do only females get and keep the 'Horn' on the central apodeme?

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are you sure it was a Ceratogyrus sp. then? I've never even heard of a Ceratogyrus sp that didn't have a horn, though it could have molted off.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are you sure it was a Ceratogyrus sp. then? I've never even heard of a Ceratogyrus sp that didn't have a horn, though it could have molted off.
Might have been the angle but im almost sure there was no horn.

The picture was lable Ceratogyrus sp. male.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well chances are it was there. I hear the males have smaller horns than the sp. Can you described what it looked like? Some have itty bitty horns which are more like mounds such as c. meridionalis or c. pillansi

Last edited:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looked like any other Ceratogyrus sp. Maybe the horn was just obscurred by the angle of the picture? I think that I saw the picture right here on the boards.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, wow. I was planning on getting a marshalli. Hope i get a female, lol. Is only only mature males who dont display it, or just males in general?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the males of marshalli never grow horns.Im pretty sure the same gos for some of the other Ceratogyrus but im to lazy to look up which ones hehe

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Of the 10 currently recognised Ceratogyrus species, only 4 possesses a fovea with protuberance ("horn").

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Know for a fact that darlingi(bechuanicus) and brachycephalus males have horns. Think that marshalli has a small protuberance but not 100% sure. As was said, there are a number of Ceratogyrus species with no horn on male or female

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats really neat! Im still going to get a marshalli though, hehe. I never knew that males didnt grow the horn. Thats one characteristic to help determine the sex, lol.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some Ceratogyrus spp just have a little button there, not a horn. There are others with no unusual structures on their carapace at all. As far as which are or are not in the hobby and which specific species have what sort of horn I can't help you there.

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Know for a fact that darlingi(bechuanicus) and brachycephalus males have horns. Think that marshalli has a small protuberance but not 100% sure. As was said, there are a number of Ceratogyrus species with no horn on male or female
Male bechuanicus have horns as well (I currently have a mature male).

Are you sure it's a Ceratogyrus and not a Pterinochilus chordatus or lugardi?

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Are you sure it's a Ceratogyrus and not a Pterinochilus chordatus or lugardi?
That can easily be determined as Ceratogyrus spp. possess a pale subabdominal band over the booklung area (only exception is C. paulseni but I doubt that this species is available in pet stores), opposed to the mentioned Pterinochilus spp. which lack this subabdominal band.