Feeding an Avic

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
How do you guys feed your Avics? Do you just leave the cricket to wander around untill it gets eaten? I just got my first 2 avics and I want to make sure they eat. With all my other Ts its pretty easy but these girls are up in the branches.

Thanks

Ed

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Assuming they aren't spiderlings, yes just throw the crickets in and they'll climb around until they meet up with the tarantula.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Thanks, Hey nice web site but I think I ate up all your bandwidth. Very cool pics but the last pic of the cobalt post molt did not come up. Maybe that was part of the bandwidth issue.

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sometimes i take them out and put them in an empty critter keeper. i put one in last night and it ate 2 crickets last night and 1 today. if it doesn't accept another one, i'll put it back in it's house.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
OK so heres what I did , I put a cricket up on the top of the cork she is hanging on, the cricket starts down the back side slowly like it knows somthing is there, then WHAM the Avic does this spinning kung fu death move and the cricket is history.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My little A avic actually hunts them. As soon as she notices crix moving around she go after them, until every one is stuffed in her mouth!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I hold them in tweezers and show it to mine and they reach out and grab it. I keep offering them until they don't grab it, which is mostly 3-4 each. Slings might not want to play this game with you, and prefer them tossed in to hunt

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I will ask my question here, as it is similar to Mr.Feexit's question.

I now have an H.maculata thanks to Pelo. She is about 4 inches and in a 10 gallon aquarium on it's end. It is 19 and 3/4 inches tall. All the cork bark is attached up in the top half. How will it be able to find crickets that are on the ground of it's cage? There is a super thin layer of vermiculite and a water dish on the floor. I am wondering how it will ever be able to get it's food when it's sitting say 15 inches off of the ground?

Thanks,

Mark

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
the Avic does this spinning kung fu death move and the cricket is history.
Sounds like my sub-adult male avic, "Boots":D
Then he dances like a fool:cool: LOL!

I also use tweezers to feed him. Its much easier than trying to
get him back in his jar. That can take up to an hour. :eek:

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Hey Mark is there any way you can place the cricket on the bark? This way it will be walking around up there with the spider.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have always fed my Avics by just throwing in the crickets for the T's to find. Seems like the crickets always want to climb up, which of course is soon the end of them.

I have tried feeding with tongs at times and I dosen't work for me, I am just too jumpy and it about startles the crap out of me when the spider dives for the cricket:eek:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I got it lucky with a wacko avic that likes to roost on the bottum corner of its tank...