Concerning allergic reactions to tarantula venom.

traxfish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard on here several times that you can't have an allergic reaction to tarantula venom, due to the structure of the venom being more basic than wasp or bee venom (something about simple peptide bonds instead of full protien chains). Is there a good website or book I can get to read more into this claim? I keep running into this question in chats with people and would like to be able to explain better and backup the claim.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IMHO u should never tell someone that theres NO way u could be allergic to T venom cuz that one person that gets tagged and has a bad reaction isnt gonna take to kindly to the fact people said it couldnt happen. i knew a kid that was allergic to like 97% of the things we put in everyday drinking water, so he had to have completely distilled water with mineral supplements so he didnt lack certain things. so if a kid can be allergic to the essence of life im sure someone SOMEWHERE out there is allergic to T venom.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i actually thought it was because the venom was more complex..?

and good call rusty! i wouldn't say anything of that nature is truly impossible...

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are different types of reactions a person can have to foreign substances, one of which is an allergic reaction. There are also different types of allergic reactions, one of which ia an anaphylactic allergic reaction. This has something to do with the contaminant bonding with histamine, not sure of the specific action. Anaphylactic reactions are the type that typically causes death from swelling and blockage of airways. People who are deathly allergic to bees suffer this type of reaction.

The prevailing opinion is that the peptide chains in tarantula venom are physically too small to bind with the histamine and therefore cannot cause a dangerous anaphylactic reaction. Again, this is the prevailing opinion, it's not a proven fact. There are other sorts of sensitivities that a person can have to venom that could still be dangerous. There's also the possibility of secondary infection, tetanus (they carry dirt around with those fangs) and general high levels of sensitivity to certain venoms. Just because one (supposedly) cannot have a violent anaphylactic allergic reaction to a bite doesn't necessarily mean that bite is harmless.

For example, the only recorded death from a centipede bite was from a young girl who was bitten in the neck. She apparently died from suffocation when her neck swelled dramatically and blocked her airway. The venom was responsible for her death but did not directly kill her. I believe it's not outside the realm of possibility that something like this could happen if say, a P murinus or S calceatum or whatever bit a child on the face or neck.

Not comforting words, I know but those are my thoughts from the "better safe than sorry" side of the fence.

traxfish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the clarification and explanation etown. I understand that other factors could hypothetically cause a life threatening situation in regards to tarantula bites, but they just simply have not be documented to have happened. I never thought that this ment that the bites are therefor harmless, just have never been documented to have caused a life threatening situation in anyone (not that I have read of yet, anyway). I have read bite reports that confirm that Poecilotheria or Haplopelma species bites have warrented a trip to the hospital.

However, is this prevailing opinion applicable to other venomous arachnids? I am aware that different spiders have very different venom, but are there any cases of anaphylactic shock linked to bites/stings from other spiders or scorpions?

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This definitely does NOT apply to all arachnids. As far as I know, many (if not all) true spiders do have protein chains in their venom. Probably the same with scorps. Theraphosid spiders (tarantulas) are lower on the evolutionary ladder than most other arachnids and their venom is likewise less evolved.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are different types of reactions a person can have to foreign substances, one of which is an allergic reaction. There are also different types of allergic reactions, one of which ia an anaphylactic allergic reaction. This has something to do with the contaminant bonding with histamine, not sure of the specific action. Anaphylactic reactions are the type that typically causes death from swelling and blockage of airways. People who are deathly allergic to bees suffer this type of reaction.
The prevailing opinion is that the peptide chains in tarantula venom are physically too small to bind with the histamine and therefore cannot cause a dangerous anaphylactic reaction. Again, this is the prevailing opinion, it's not a proven fact. There are other sorts of sensitivities that a person can have to venom that could still be dangerous.
I FULLY agree. Individual health factors need to be considered. If the person has a pre-condition that makes them more vulnerable to the action of the usually non-life-threatening venom ( say, they have cystic fibrosis or MS ), this could result in a COMBINATION of threats which could elevate the T-bite to a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation.

There's also the possibility of secondary infection, tetanus (they carry dirt around with those fangs) and general high levels of sensitivity to certain venoms. Just because one (supposedly) cannot have a violent anaphylactic allergic reaction to a bite doesn't necessarily mean that bite is harmless.
This really depends...captive-bred, captive-owned tarantulas are not generally kept on "dirt," but on potting soil ( acidic/ anti-microbial ), potting soil, vermiculite, coir, etc. The probability of these containing tetanus-causing bacteria is extremely, extremely low ( especially for the peatmoss, which when moist, is acidic and a mild anti-microbial ). Tarantula venom is also anti-microbial. But certainly, as you say, the no-allergy clause does not mean we take these bites lightly....EVER.

For example, the only recorded death from a centipede bite was from a young girl who was bitten in the neck. She apparently died from suffocation when her neck swelled dramatically and blocked her airway. The venom was responsible for her death but did not directly kill her.
I was aware of this death ( from an S.subspinipes ), but had not heard the specific cause. Are you sure it was suffocation, and not shock due to overwhelming pain? She was only 7. My searching hasn't yielded any reports about it having been anaphylaxis that killed her.

I believe it's not outside the realm of possibility that something like this could happen if say, a P murinus or S calceatum or whatever bit a child on the face or neck.
Hmmm, yeah. I can't disagree. These species, as with Poecilotheria and other Selenocosmiinae, cause a severe amount of swelling, but that is not the result of a histaminic immune response, as far as I am aware. Still, a severely swelling T-bite on the neck, would be serious without any immune involvement.

Not comforting words, I know but those are my thoughts from the "better safe than sorry" side of the fence.[/QUOTE]

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I at one point agreed that T venom was not able to cause allergic reactions, now I disagree.

Clinical Toxicology
Publication details, including instructions for authors and subscription information:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=t713597279
Abstracts
Online Publication Date: 26 December 2004
123. Envenomation from a ‘‘Fringed Ornamental’’ Tarantula (Poecilotheria ornata)
Dougherty TJ, Greene TF, Burkey WR, Rodi A. Cape Coral Hospital, Cape Coral FL; Lee Memorial Hospital, Fort
Myers FL.
Background: The ‘‘Fringed Ornamental’’ (Poecilotheria ornata) is an ‘Old World’ tarantula native to Sri Lanka. Lay publications claim its venom to be the most potent of all tarantulas with unsubstantiated reports of coma and paralysis.
The true risk of envenomation, however, is not reported in the medical literature. We report a case of envenomation by this exotic spider. Case Report: A 20-yr-old female was bitten on her right third finger by her pet tarantula. Thirty minutes later she presented to the emergency department, complaining of swelling of her finger, pain radiating up to her axilla, and chest tightness. The patient denied SOB, N/V paresthesias, itching, numbness, or difficulty swallowing. Her vital signs were normal. Her physical exam revealed a puncture wound at the tip of her third right finger, tenderness, and swelling of the pulp surface. No arm swelling, but right axillary tenderness, was noted. Her exam was otherwise unremarkable. Initial treatment included ketorolac 30 mg IV, methyprednisolone 125 mg IV, lorazepam 1 mg. The patient was transferred to In-Pt Toxicology service and was observed overnight. Lab:CBC, CMP and Sed Rate were nl., as were PT/PTT, fibrinogen, and D-dimer. The patient was released on antibiotics, antihistamines, and prednisone. On day 6, she returned, complaining of arthralgias with movement of her third MCP joint, wrist, and elbow with tender axillary lymphadenopathy. Immunological studies were ordered: IgA, IgM were nl, IgG was slightly decreased. IgE was elevated 141 KU/L (nl<114). She was given a medrol dose pack. One week later her symptoms had abated. Conclusions: We report of an envenomation from Poecilotheria ornata with resultant pain and arthralgias successfully treated with steroids and antihistamines. Elevation in serum IgE suggests an allergic response to the venom.

Rook's Textbook of Dermatology (Seventh Edition)
Published Online: 4 Feb 2008
Editor(s): Tony Burns, Stephen Breathnach, Neil Cox, Christopher Griffiths
Print ISBN: 9780632064298 Online ISBN: 9780470750520
Copyright © 1968, 1972, 1979, 1986, 1992, 1998, 2004 by Blackwell Science Ltd
Diseases Caused by Arthropods and other Noxious Animals
Chapter Author: D. A. Burns

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/002855.html

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.en.29.010184.000403

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=8c5b8199bd1afafc68ba5810ce96393e

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/TOPIC550.HTM

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002855.htm

so more research is needed of course.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so what i actually understood from that is that Pokeys have enuff venom to cause ur joints and cartilage to breakdown and cause arthritis if not treated?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So over the past week I've been pondering how much of what we say on the boards is pure knowledge and how much is past down hearsay. I asked my girlfriend who has two BS degrees, in biology and chemistry, to take a look at this board and tell me what she though about this thread. She did some reading and sent me back this response:

Medical Microbiology 5th edition (Murray, Rosenthal, Pfaller) Elsevier

IMNHO:
In spider venom, there are small "proteins" which are called peptides. These peptides bind several receptors on the surface of your cells. This binding signals, among other things, pain. In response to this signal, and the bite itself, your immune system will respond. Worse, however, is that the venom can cause cells to burst, which elicits a huge immune response. When cells burst, they release toxins, which cause nearby cells to also be damaged. This collective damage is what the immune system is actually responding to. One way your immune system fights things that are not bacteria or viruses is by releasing histamine. Histamine is what gives you seasonal allergies. It signals more immune cells to the site, which causes swelling. This is not necessarily how the immune responds to the venom, but rather to the damaged caused by your cells bursting.

In tarantula venom there aren't the peptides that cause the cells to burst, but there are other peptides. But tarantula venom *can* cause an allergic reaction still, just like common food or plant allergies. Symptoms of this would include itching or mild swelling, but since it will be at the site of the bite, it won't be life threatening.
I also read that in some species of tarantula, in addition to these peptides there are "proteases", or enzymes that "chew up" protein. This can include structural proteins, including cartilage, which would cause bruising and tenderness.

More interestingly, there are groups of chemists using the structures common to different kinds of venom to cause the opposite effects: pain killers. They are using the idea of venom, that it binds cell receptors, but then are changing the peptide so that it will not cause the response, pain. But by blocking the receptor without triggering its response, other things that may bind would not be "felt" because the mock-venom would be shielding the receptor.

In short, an immunologist would call both of these responses "allergic", however to the average person on the street, the cell bursting response would be much more identifiable as an allergic reaction.

http://imb.uq.edu.au/download/large/Venom_therapeutics.pdf
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/CENTERS/csmb/Sachs/pdf/NAture.pdf

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just thought Id post and let everyone know this was not ment to be an attack on anyones ideas but rather clarification for myself and sharing with the boards. I found it interesting that some immunologist would find what we consider simple bit reactions to be an allergic reaction . I think it would be interesting to take an animal and test to see if it mattered what part of their body was bit. take a rabit or something not a mouse and see the effect the venom would have.

traxfish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for all the responses, they have certainly been enlightening.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definately very enlightening. Rev, you're citation was hard to follow, but very well put ;) And Gumby, thanks for the input as well.