H. Gigas swimming documented - 1

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm document all of the H. Gigas behaviors so others can learn more about this amazing species. Swimming is relatively new to most and I know they are designed to do it and wanted to document it anytime I see this type of behavior. I've noticed that with this large pond, the female has chosen to ignore the substrate side to burrow right next to the pond. She seems very happy there and I will continue to document everything so others can learn as well.

[youtube]uE4bki09Z2Y[/youtube]

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! Robc. I blame you for this. I now want an H. gigas. {D

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice video rob. Lol I agree testdasi, its all your fault! Can't wait to get one of these magnificent tarantulas!

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You made me want one of these so bad. How do you filter the water?

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't wait for the day we will see an underwarer threat posture! lol

Awesome t and enclosure rob!!! :)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You made me want one of these so bad. How do you filter the water?
I have a turtle filter...check out the H. Gigas Enclosure tutorial - I talk about the filter in the video. Rob

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tres cool!

It can't be easy to swim when you weigh as little as they do, and have an enormous bubble of air around you.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got an H. gigas sling for free and it's not afraid to express its feelings. :D I can't wait for mine to grow up. I heard it was a huge fan of burrowing.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tres cool!

It can't be easy to swim when you weigh as little as they do, and have an enormous bubble of air around you.
This is true, they do realease air right as they go down, but they mainly grab whats on the bottom, basicaly walking on the bottom. They are good in the mid range depth but are the best at the bottom....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's amazing dude!
I have also raised 200 slings together of this Sp....There is documentation of MM also being found together in the burrow with the female, so The MM is in the same enclosure with her and all is well so far....he has gone over and inside the females burrow and then went back his. I have also found the female coming out of the mm BURROW....I will get this on video tape!! Please note: this Sp is known to do this, most female T's will eat the MM if left in the enclosure.....this is a study I am doing, a lot of precaution and planning must be used!!!

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
can't wait to see them catch some fish!! and visiting each other's burrows will be pretty sweet too!

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great vid Rob! Thnx for sharing. I've been wanting to do something like this for quite a while. U definitely gave me the bug again. Got an unused aquarium reserved and waiting for my little guy to grow up. It's just 2 inches now.