brand dog food to feed to roaches

gene22

Arachnopeon
Hellom
What brand of dry dog food do most people feed to thier feeder roaches?

Thanks

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't use dog food I use chicken feed (not medicated). I get a 50lb bag that lasts a very, very long time and they just love it. It can be found at any feed store near you for about 10-15 bucks a bag.

marvs08

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, i agree with the above... I think you should feed them chicken feeds, rather than dog food... They are cheaper and almost have the same nutrients... Oh and roach poo from dog food are worse than that of a chicken feed... I don't know why they stink a lot...

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't use dog food I use chicken feed (not medicated). I get a 50lb bag that lasts a very, very long time and they just love it. It can be found at any feed store near you for about 10-15 bucks a bag.
Yeah, such a good idea. I wish I still lived in new mexico. I'd have to drive quite a ways to find a feed store from here, I think.

It's a compelling idea that feeding chicken feed instead of dogfood mitigates the smell of the frass. the "roach chow" i got with them was really nasty crap. I mean it was like fish guts or something. Smelled worse than roaches ever do. I bet that contributed to my impression that B lateralis (which I used at the time) are a bit smelly.

That and the fact that I had about 100 times as many roaches as I needed.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use cat food. I don't know if it's ok though.
Avoid cat food. Higher % of protein in cat food and other ingredients are not really good for the roaches.
(who ever though they would be worried about a roaches health when they were younger?) {D

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i use goldfish food because it's what i have handy, and apples and carrots by recommendation of james of blaberus..

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avoid cat food. Higher % of protein in cat food and other ingredients are not really good for the roaches.
(who ever though they would be worried about a roaches health when they were younger?) {D
I've been feeding indoor formula cat food for years now and no problems.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been feeding indoor formula cat food for years now and no problems.
If you have two setups, one with cat food, one with dog food, you can see the differences.
If you have only fed cat food of course you are not going to know any better. My rate of death in young, juvies, and adults has dropped a lot when I switched to the chicken feed. I do feed fruits and veggies when I feel like it, but they love the chicken feed far better then dog or cat food. I can put 5 or 6 cups of feed in the containers spray it down with water and it is gone over night.

And best of all as someone mentioned above chicken feed frass does not smell anywhere near as bad as cat and dog food frass.

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have two setups, one with cat food, one with dog food, you can see the differences.
If you have only fed cat food of course you are not going to know any better. My rate of death in young, juvies, and adults has dropped a lot when I switched to the chicken feed. I do feed fruits and veggies when I feel like it, but they love the chicken feed far better then dog or cat food. I can put 5 or 6 cups of feed in the containers spray it down with water and it is gone over night.

And best of all as someone mentioned above chicken feed frass does not smell anywhere near as bad as cat and dog food frass.
I've also switched to chicken feed and am never going back. I started out using the blends that the roach dealers sell, which work well but are pretty pricey. Now I go pick up a 50 pound bag of chicken mash for $12 and have a supply that I haven't even dented in 3 months with thousands of roaches. I've seen quite a variety but I definitely get the unmedicated kind and go for around 20-25% protein count.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I really don't see any juvie deaths. I'd try the experiment but really have no use for two colonies.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really don't see any juvie deaths. I'd try the experiment but really have no use for two colonies.
If it works for you it works for you. Come to think of it I don't know why I have two colonies myself. 20,000 roaches is to many for anyone even me.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So if anything, dog food is better than cat food right? I have never ever seen chicken feed over where I live. We're not allowed to keep chickens here.