P.Regalis colony update - Not good

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well I went to check on my P.Regalis colony this evening and found one of my favorites T's (female P.Regalis) eaten by one of his cagemates. I believe it was the male, the other female is in pre-molt. I do not know why he did it, there was a constant supply of food, this just happens sometimes.....

[youtube]D9BJX32KT34[/youtube]

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow bro.. sad to hear that! i'm sorry for ur loss.

Do u have any other communal colonies ?

//Tiago

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
wow bro.. sad to hear that! i'm sorry for ur loss.

Do u have any other communal colonies ?

//Tiago
I have done 200 H.Gigas together, raised them up to 3-4" and had not one death. I did not expect this at all from the P.Regalis colony....I figured if it was going to happen it would have later.....Robc

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what is ur theory for this death ??

They grew up and started to "think" they needed their own territory or what ??

//Tiago

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow rob and ur awake ? :O are u goin to work on saturday ? it is 11a.m in here so it must be 6a.m for u :O

//Tiago

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
man that really sucks!! :( how many of them are left? do you think it has to do with size?

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe a larger cage would have avoided it. Sorry to hear.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe a larger cage would have avoided it. Sorry to hear.
NEVER. That would make them create their own territory.When some other T goes for a walk and steps on what is another ones territory..BANG one T or both will be dead. That is why u need to keep them as tight as possible. So they can live in the same territory and share it.

//Tiago

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww man Rob... That's too bad. Time to start another one! I am worried about one of my guys currently, he/she hasn't molted and the rest have. This little guy is about 60% of the size as the rest! I am thinking about pulling him out of the group of 9 already:8o

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NEVER. That would make them create their own territory.When some other T goes for a walk and steps on what is another ones territory..BANG one T or both will be dead. That is why u need to keep them as tight as possible. So they can live in the same territory and share it.

//Tiago
I've heard some say the opposite, that with more space they'll make themselves comfortable in their own spot and not tangle with the others. Anyone else have a take--I'm about to start a colony with 1 1/2" S. calceatums and would prefer a set up less conducive to them picking each other off?

--the nature boy

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear this and also surprised. I would think it would be the other way around with the female eating the male. Maybe there was something wrong with the female you were not aware of?

Are you going to separate them, or still keep them together?

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awww man rob, that is scary. I might have to seperate mine now.. But they do tend to get more aggressive once one gets bigger than all the others. I am sorry for your loss :(

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what is ur theory for this death ??

They grew up and started to "think" they needed their own territory or what ??

//Tiago
I'll never know for sure but that's my best guess...the little female wandered into the larger male's hunting territory...she had no idea and probably just pounced to defend his area...Rob

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard some say the opposite, that with more space they'll make themselves comfortable in their own spot and not tangle with the others. Anyone else have a take--I'm about to start a colony with 1 1/2" S. calceatums and would prefer a set up less conducive to them picking each other off?

--the nature boy
That is not really being communal then. That is them living in their own areas that just happen to be in the same tank. Communal living (at least in my mind) is interacting together, feeding together, molting together, things like that. I have seen all that in my colonies with no deaths so I am not to sure what happened here. Mine are all as big or bigger than Robs were so it is a bit surprising that one was killed.
And when you say you have heard some say go large, who said it and where can I read about it. That should be some interesting reading. Everything I have read to date says keep it small.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
man that really sucks!! :( how many of them are left? do you think it has to do with size?
I have two left...there were 3 in there together originally...I have seperated the other two...and I may have to contact Talkenlate to get some more and try it again...I trust his breeding and that I would definetly get slings that are for sure from the same sac...I'm not 100% sure that was the case here...Rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
where they all from the same egg sac?
As far as I knew they were...but with Tiny being so much smaller than the others, maybe she was from a different sac...