dwarf tarantulas

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
could someone throw out some genus' for me? also h incei is considered a dwarf t right? or am i thinking of something else

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a Paraphysa Parvula that was sold to me as a dwarf. She is about 3 inches and docile. I take her to my spider presentations.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cyricosmus elegans (spelling) is definitly a dwarf. Along with the entire Cyricosmus genus.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tapanauchenius are rather small too, i beleive.
Aswell as Metriopelma, they are quite small.
Some Cylosternum I think too...

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
taps arent that small....yeah a little smaller than most but i wouldnt consider them a dwarf genus.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could someone throw out some genus' for me? also h incei is considered a dwarf t right? or am i thinking of something else
yup h incei is a dwarf get one they are one of my favorite Ts just amazing looking and cool webbers

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe that Paraphysa scrofa (Chilean copper) is dwarf

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't say that. I've seen some big females. Especially a couple of massive "New River" species.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perhaps there's some technicallity I'm missing. But it's hard for me to consider a 6 inch spider a dwarf, haha. The paloma dwarfs, and cochise dwarfs, now those are another story. ;)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol, in this case I don't think size matters, I think the species is considered a dwarf species.
Im going to have to go with size does matter when talking about a dwarf :? I would agree that ive always thought of Aphonopelmas as a smaller species but not a dwarf species. there are a few you can label as dwarf though. I think we are also missing one of my fav. Cyclosternum fasciatum but I may be wrong here as well as Ive notice C. fasciatum up to 5" being sold but I thought there was a larger species labeled D. fasciatum that may be the large ones out there and C. fasciatum being smaller. ill do some searching and see what I find but anything that reaches 5" I wouldnt label as dwarf.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not all Aphonopelmas are dwarfs by any means. I have a 4" subadult A anax and a 5.5" "Paysoni Blonde". Most Aphono's get around 4.5-5.5" with a few exceptions such as the "Huachua", Cochise and Paloma. There are a few others but they don't spring immediately to mind.

The word dwarf gets tossed around a lot. I don't know if there is a specific size below which a T is technically a dwarf or not. Personally I don't think t's that can push 4" such as C fasciatum are really to be considered dwarfs. Species such as C elegans and some of the Aphono's barely exceed 2". Now THOSE are dwarfs!

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have never heard of a clear classification either. I consider 'dwarf' T's that dont get much larger than 2, maybe 3". I would call 4-6" a normal sized tarantula, and 7+" quite large.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
The members of the mygalomorph family Mecicobothriidae are commonly called "dwarf tarantulas", according to Wikipedia. As for theraphosid spiders, I'm sure that the species of the genus Magulla would qualify as "dwarf", for example Magulla obesa with its body lenght of 1-2 cm (0.4-0.8").

Reference:
  • Indicatti, R. P., Lucas, S. M., Guadanucci, J. P. L. & Yamamoto, F. U. 2008. Revalidation and revision of the genus Magulla Simon 1892 (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae) Zootaxa 1814: 21–36