funnel web spiders why not funnel web t's?

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok, so today i was watching a national geographic about australias deadly dozen wich feututred a so called funnel web spider.
My question is : Is this really a spider or a T? cause it had fangs unlike the spiders and alot of other T's parts (wich i dont know what theyr called) And if it is a spider whats determents it?
If its a T it would probobly mean thats the worlds smallest T, since it looks smaller than the C.Karlamani

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Well it wouldn't be the worlds smallest T by a long shot.

Does the Funnel web have one or two pairs of book lungs?
Does the Funnel web's fangs point and pinch at angle or are they more parallel?

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
down here we get "funnel web mygalomorphs".

They have 2 sets of booklungs and rear-curving fangs.

Think of it this way - family Nemisidae (spelling?) and trap door spiders "look" like tarantulas because they have 2 pairs of lungs and the right curve of fangs, but aren't tarantulas. Same with funnel web mygalomorphs.

here's a pic of one of South Africa's funnel webs, she measures about 2cm legspan-

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are mixing up two levels: Infraorders and Families.

The spiders with 4 (sometimes 2) book lungs and fangs parallel with body axis belong in the infraorder Mygalomorphae aka "primitive spiders"

The spiders with 2 (sometimes 0) book lungs and fangs crossing body axis belong in the infraorder Araneomorphae aka "true spiders"

Now we have this settled we can say that all the following families; Nemesidae, Hexathelidae (Atrax and Hadronyche for instance) and Theraphosidae are all belonging in the infraorder Mygalomorphae based on the orientation of their fangs.

The spiders in the family Theraphosidae are among other things distinguished by having a maxillary process and clawtufts. This combination is not found in neither of the families Nemesidae nor Hexathelidae nor any other mygalomorph. Which is why Atrax and Hadronyche (Hexathelidae) are not tarantulas (Theraphosidae).

So to say it in another way - all tarantulas (Theraphosidae) are mygalomorphs - but not all mygalomorphs are tarantulas.

Regards
Søren

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The only true tarantulas are from a genus of amblypygid, but since so many people use the term tarantula for certain mygalomorphs (and the Italian tarentela dance for wolf spiders) their name is suppressed. Go figure.

arman

Arachnopeon
Thirteen people have been killed in Sydney area by the funnel web spider,but none since the antidote was found in 1981.Eventhough 30 to 40 people are bitten each year.Verry agressive when cornered,this is one of the most deadliest spiders.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
You are mixing up two levels: Infraorders and Families.

The spiders with 4 (sometimes 2) book lungs and fangs parallel with body axis belong in the infraorder Mygalomorphae aka "primitive spiders"

The spiders with 2 (sometimes 0) book lungs and fangs crossing body axis belong in the infraorder Araneomorphae aka "true spiders"

Now we have this settled we can say that all the following families; Nemesidae, Hexathelidae (Atrax and Hadronyche for instance) and Theraphosidae are all belonging in the infraorder Mygalomorphae based on the orientation of their fangs.

The spiders in the family Theraphosidae are among other things distinguished by having a maxillary process and clawtufts. This combination is not found in neither of the families Nemesidae nor Hexathelidae nor any other mygalomorph. Which is why Atrax and Hadronyche (Hexathelidae) are not tarantulas (Theraphosidae).

So to say it in another way - all tarantulas (Theraphosidae) are mygalomorphs - but not all mygalomorphs are tarantulas.

Regards
Søren
Thank you for explaining that. I thought it might be something like that, but you did a great job of detailing the explaination.

Kudos to you,

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
phormingochilus
That was indeed a very simple and very helpfull explanation as i dont know much about spiders and t's since im a scorpion guy(so far, got a feeling thats about to change) thanx to these info i have something to start reading from:)

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are the ones in Africa just as toxic as the ones in the Austrailia?

John