Two new spiders, any tips?

westiepup

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am a student researcher at Ithaca College and I was wondering if anyone here would like to share their knowledge on caring for a Huntsman spider (Heteropoda venatoria) and a trapdoor spider (Latouchia batuensis). Also, would anyone happen to know the common name of the trapdoor spider? I keep finding so many different names, the one that has popped up the most though is Thai Red Leg. I also heard that the trapdoor's scientific name was changed to Damarchus cf. workmani, is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks again!

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there!!!
you can find your answers through the search function. There is a lot of information on how to keep both specimens.

Ricardo

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello! I am a student researcher at Ithaca College and I was wondering if anyone here would like to share their knowledge on caring for a Huntsman spider (Heteropoda venatoria) and a trapdoor spider (Latouchia batuensis). Also, would anyone happen to know the common name of the trapdoor spider? I keep finding so many different names, the one that has popped up the most though is Thai Red Leg. I also heard that the trapdoor's scientific name was changed to Damarchus cf. workmani, is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks again!
The name wasn't changed, Latouchia batuensis is an incorrect ID when applied to the specimens for sale in the US at least. Aside from tarantulas, many dealers in the US and probably elsewhere are clueless when it comes to other mygalomorphs and true spiders.
Here is a thread that explains why it is incorrect:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=126247

The best thing to do is figure what genus spiders (especially trapdoor spiders) are for yourself when ordering from dealers, as their ID's are most likely wrong. I have yet to see an actual Gorgyrella, Stasimopus, Latouchia batuensis, black and gold segestriid, etc., available in the trade.

As far as your huntsman, the best info here is in Stefan2209's and a couple others threads.

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Woo someone new that lives close to me. Sorry not much help just wanted to say something with someone actually nearby me haha.

westiepup

Arachnopeon
Thank you toolrick and thank you jeff h for all the great info! Haha, and it's okay Elleken, i know the feeling.