Quick Terms Guide

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
when i first discovered arachnoboards, i had no clue what many of the slang terms meant. i thought there should be some sort of sticky list of all these terms available to newbs, so here it is. i did get a little help from warpig's contibution to the arachnophiles' list. feel free to add anything i leave out!

The List

T - tarantula

sling - spiderling

hide - a place for your tarantula to hide (often a piece of wood or flower pot)

cork - cork bark (a type of dry wood that does not mold easily, often used as a hide)

substrate - the material that is the bottom layer of the of the cage (used for burrow making and the retention of water)

OW - old world

NW - new world

WC - wild caught

CB - captive bred

CH - captive hatched

FS/T - for sale/trade

WTB - want to buy

RCF - red color form

OBT - orange baboon tarantula (orange bitey thing, Pterinochilus murinis)

GBB - green bottle blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)

50/50 trade - a tarantula is bred with someone else's and you split the resulting sac half/half

ICU - intensive care unit

KK - kritter keeper

Avic - genus Avicularia

Pokie - genus Poecilotheria

Psalmo - genus Psalmopoeus

Brachy - genus Brachypelma

Grammy - genus Grammostola

Taps - genus Tapinauchenius

Sp. - species

Penultimate molt - term for the stage in the life of a male tarantula which is just before he becomes sexually mature

Ultimate molt - term for the stage in a male's developement where he is now sexually mature

Postultimate molt - term for the stage in a male tarantula's life where he molts out of his sexually mature state to one of losing his sexual organs (most males will not be able to complete this molt and die in the process)

Spermathecae - term for female tarantula's reproductive organs, these are visible on a shed molt. a scope will be required to see them on younger spiderlings

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool. Don't forget..

MM = Mature Male
MF = Mature Female
Juvie = Juvenile

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Either someone is too lazy or......well... I think they are just too lazy to make it a sticky. It would help the newbies out a lot since we get more and more people every week.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Because the sticky gods said no? Heck I don't know. I know at one point someone was trying to compile a giant list of every term but I am not sure where that ended up or if it was finished.

Either someone is too lazy or......well... I think they are just too lazy to make it a sticky. It would help the newbies out a lot since we get more and more people every week.
Pretty sure the mods have to approve it to make it a sticky. So I doubt lazy is to blame.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i thought the same thing when i first got here... i'm of the opinion that one of them needs to be a sticky! this one does already link to those other two, but honestly i just think we need something..

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Probably isn't being lazy, mods are busy with regulating arguments and other nasty jobs.

To OP, try PMing a moderator and asking if something like that could be made a sticky. Also you may try combining all the info into one thread and submitting it for approval in the article area. Either way, try contacting a mod. Most seem to be nice and probably wouldn't bite, unless you asked them to;P

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
curse those sticky gods!! is there any way to combine the posts in the 3 lists? if so, i think it should be done and stickied!

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for his post as I had questions a couple of days ago and now I found the answers.

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There's more

genic - Acanthoscurria geniculata
king bab - King Babbon
UH - Urticating Hair
Lassies - Lasiodora species
Ecamp - Eupalaestrus campestratus
Apho/Aphos - Aphonopelma species