second t?

tvelez1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
right now i have a g. rosie. i want to get another t but i dont know what to get. i really like the cobalt bluues but i hear they are very skittish

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For a second i would say L parahybana get a 1/2" sling and it could be 5" in 6-7 months

tvelez1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i do want to get an obt but not yet. how big go L parahybana get?

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cobalt Blue. Skittish is an understatement. Psycho fits the bill! If you want something that makes you wonder why you ever bought the thing in the first place, get a cobalt. I nearly have a stroke every time I do enclosure maintenance.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I second the L parahybana. They are considered, IIRC, the second largest tarantula in the world, after T blondi/apophysis. Do a gallery search for pics, and there are some cool YouTube vids of them out there. They get quite large, and grow pretty fast. Mine was molting once a month for about 8 months, now it is down to every 2-3 months and went from 1/4" to a hair under 3" in one year, with one more molt in the works sometime this month that would probably push him to 3-4".

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
However, considering you only have a G rosea, I would go for the OBT first. They are much more colorful (unless your rose is mature, that is!). Alternatively, you could go for the A avic or any other Avicularia species. They are all gorgeous, and mostly easy-going and calm. I can handle my friends huuuuuge A metallica without any fear of biting, hairs, or even teleporting.

tvelez1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how do i know if my rosie is mature? i was always told that obt's are very skittish thats y they got the nick "orange bitty thing"

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
However, considering you only have a G rosea, I would go for the OBT first. They are much more colorful (unless your rose is mature, that is!). Alternatively, you could go for the A avic or any other Avicularia species. They are all gorgeous, and mostly easy-going and calm. I can handle my friends huuuuuge A metallica without any fear of biting, hairs, or even teleporting.
i agree. avics are great spiders for begginers or experts.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Honestly, I would just browse the gallery here and see if anything looks especially intriguing. I think if you know what to expect, then you should not have too many problems with quick or skittish T's. Perhaps an Avic would be a good intro to them, though, since they do have the potential to be fast, but are not nearly at the level that a lot of the less docile spiders are.

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have both a L. PARAHYBANA sling and a OBT sling and IME my obt is a very fast grower (so is my Parahybana) and is not very aggresive YET i would recommend the obt because they make really cool burrows as slings and webs when their adults

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have both a L. PARAHYBANA sling and a OBT sling and IME my obt is a very fast grower (so is my Parahybana) and is not very aggresive YET i would recommend the obt because they make really cool burrows as slings and webs when their adults
it depends on what you like in a T. i like T's that are monster looking (L. parahybana is that, she is big, she is hairy, she is blackish) but are docile, gentle, contrarying most people's opinion :)

if you like a T that will web everything, burrow and do major (and nice) changes in the terrarium, go for the OBT or something ;)

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah an obt would be okay i personally love them but you might not want to handle them i do but it's not recommended and they do grow fast but the Lasiodora parahybana is a way faster grower i have a 10" female and three 9" females so they do get big fast and i also recommend an A versicolor but they do need humidity and heat so maybe not the best choice if your not up to the maintenance

Arachtis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tally up another vote for L. Parahybana, they can get very large, grow like weeds, and are very easy to take care of, a great alternative to T. Blondi IMHO

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you like a T that will web everything, burrow and do major (and nice) changes in the terrarium, go for the OBT or something ;)
well if you were really interested in ts that web and stay out in the open and are generaly docile but skittish i would reccommend the Greenbottle Blue

Kelly swift is currently selling GBB slings right now and you could also get a OBT as a freebie :) just something to think about (he also has Lasidora Parahybana slings for $10)

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. rosea to OBT or Cobalt Blue? That's a pretty big step.

The L. para is a good choice, and there are dozens more to choose from which are just as stunning in character, size and colour. And far more forgiving should something unexpected happen. (Escape, bite).

IMO - If you want to look at dirt, cobalt blue is your spider. For the OBT if you like an adrenaline rush this is a good choice.

Other considerations to include for a second T,

A. geniculata, C. cyancubescens, B. smithi, A. versicolour, N. chromatus,......