Yet another problem

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The T's are doing fine after eating the isopods. Well I got to look more close at the containers. I see very very tiny little white bugs which I know is mites. The question........... How do I get rid of them? I heard you can dry out the containers and they will go away. I also heard that your need to change the substrate and then dry out the container. What should I do?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The T's are doing fine after eating the isopods. Well I got to look more close at the containers. I see very very tiny little white bugs which I know is mites. The question........... How do I get rid of them? I heard you can dry out the containers and they will go away. I also heard that your need to change the substrate and then dry out the container. What should I do?
Changing the substrate is the best option or you can take the lazy man's approach (as I've been known to do) and, assuming the enclosure is small enough, stick it in the microwave and nuke the little sons a...guns.

--the nature boy

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok at least I know what to do LOL:D

The tricky part im trying to figure out is how to remove the obts. One of the obts has a TON of webbing and he has like 3 burrows which will make it more difficult. How do I do this?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Changing the substrate is the best option or you can take the lazy man's approach (as I've been known to do) and, assuming the enclosure is small enough, stick it in the microwave and nuke the little sons a...guns.

--the nature boy
note-don't forget to take your T out first if you decide to microwave the enclosure. {D

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if the isopods were prego they could be baby isos

just letting you know i keep a bunch and i do occasionally get one that has babies all over her tummy;)

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No im pretty sure their mites. I had them before. I dont think isopods can walk on the sides of the containers could they?

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not sure mine can get all over my hands if i dont pay attention

any way im sure if they are in fact baby isos they would have died already

so just get your t out of the tank and micro wave it for a quick fix{D

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok at least I know what to do LOL:D

The tricky part im trying to figure out is how to remove the obts. One of the obts has a TON of webbing and he has like 3 burrows which will make it more difficult. How do I do this?
Oh...this is gonna be fun :D {D :D . Again, if the enclosure is small enough, you can cheat and stick it in the fridge for 10 minutes or so and slow them down a bit. I'd probably pour in as much water as necessary to flood the one out of his burrow (he won't be happy about it :) ). You might have to use your forceps, a chopstick, whatnot to tease some out of their webbing. Be aware they might try to run up the object and tag you. Ultimately the game plan is to cup them (get a cup over them--whether they're on the substrate, on the sides of the enclosure, where ever--and slide a piece of junk mail or whatever underneath, capturing them. You have fun with that. {D

--the nature boy

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh...this is gonna be fun :D {D :D . Again, if the enclosure is small enough, you can cheat and stick it in the fridge for 10 minutes or so and slow them down a bit. I'd probably pour in as much water as necessary to flood the one out of his burrow (he won't be happy about it :) ). You might have to use your forceps, a chopstick, whatnot to tease some out of their webbing. Be aware they might try to run up the object and tag you. Ultimately the game plan is to cup them (get a cup over them--whether they're on the substrate, on the sides of the enclosure, where ever--and slide a piece of junk mail or whatever underneath, capturing them. You have fun with that. {D

--the nature boy
LOL this is going to be bad{D
If I get tagged ill be sure to post in the bite forum:D

One last question. Is it really safe to do for 10 min?

I also got to do my pokie. That might be more easyer I hope.....

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL this is going to be bad{D
If I get tagged ill be sure to post in the bite forum:D

One last question. Is it really safe to do for 10 min?

I also got to do my pokie. That might be more easyer I hope.....
I made the mistake of going 22 with my S. calceatums when I had to transfer them. They were fairly catatonic, but fine. Unless you have slings I would think 10 would be no big deal.

--the nature boy

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bring the little guy into the bathroom and block off the door..take some vaseline and rub a thin line around the top of the tub and coax em out once he hits the vaseline hell stop.just cup him and your good to go

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure what you've got but they could be good or bad mites. Here's a link of a good mite. Could be what you have.

http://www.buglogical.com/hypoaspis_control_fungusGnats/hypoaspis.asp

if not, you could buy these and they might take care of your mite problem for you too. There's also a way to make traps for mites-something to do with 35mm film canisters and vaseline or something like that. You'll have to search the older threads for it though. I'm too damn lazy to do it for you!;P

Just giving you some other options.;)

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
bring the little guy into the bathroom and block off the door..take some vaseline and rub a thin line around the top of the tub and coax em out once he hits the vaseline hell stop.just cup him and your good to go

Rub vaseline all over your tub? Really? Sounds a bit messy for what it's worth honestly....

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No. They could probably teleport right through it and, regardless, I'd be concerned about it getting on the book lungs. Suffocation via vasaline can't be fun. I'm not a big fan of vaseline in general. Of course when I was a teenager...um, never mind.

--the nature boy

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure what you've got but they could be good or bad mites. Here's a link of a good mite. Could be what you have.

http://www.buglogical.com/hypoaspis_control_fungusGnats/hypoaspis.asp

if not, you could buy these and they might take care of your mite problem for you too. There's also a way to make traps for mites-something to do with 35mm film canisters and vaseline or something like that. You'll have to search the older threads for it though. I'm too damn lazy to do it for you!;P

Just giving you some other options.;)
Hmmmm....... This is odd. I did see little white things moving this morning. I dont see anything anymore. I do however see these white/brown dots. What do you think?

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I studied the thread. I dont think its bad. I dont see anything anymore so.......