b smithi sexing

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i have been seeing a bucnh of b smithi sexing threads are smithis at 2 inches hard to sex or not most smithis seem to be easy to sex but please give me ur 2 cents.
Mike

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When my first B. smithi was 2 inches, I was able to accurately sex him from a molt. I think around 2 inches is where the sex organs become defined enough to differentiate them in the shed exuvia with naked eye. As for outward appearance, I think they need to be around the 3 inch point to identify accurately.
(I caveat this with 3 inch for me, perhaps other more experienced keepers can differentiate at a smaller size)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you can get a molt in decent shape, it should be fairly obvious at that size. Sexing by molt is by far the easiest method... providing that the T will cooperate.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Longbord1
i mean no molt wise
I find Brachypelma species easy to sex externally by about 2", then again, it's the genera I'm the most familiar with so go figure :)

By that size the females have the beginnings of the sclerotized epigastric furrow and generally larger chelicerae, males have a tell tale dot in the center of the furrow but no other changes to it.

The dot:

Well, dookie, it doesn't look like we can link to pictures on the board now :(

Go to this thread to see the dot I'm talking about for males.