cricket storage

t3nLegs

Arachnopeon
well i havea Q and i cant seem to find it with teh search feature. maybe someone can help me out here.

i bought a dozen crickets with the purchase of ym new g rosea.

it isnt eatting. so im thinking it may be close to moult or stressed due to the new environment.. so my Q is. ive noticed these crickets already fed on two others. but how do i store them so they dont die on me. i currently have them in a cool whip container with holes in the top and a wet towel for water... however the cricket turds are piling up and rapidly growing in stench.

how should i go about making some kind of storage for these guys to wehre they will be OK to live to weeks on end until my T is hungry?

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but just buy two or three crickets at a time at the pet store. I found it's not worth storing them because of the smell. I have enough Ts to justify having a roach colony, which I just got last week, but for the last few months, I was buying enough crickets to feed all my Ts in a single sitting.

t3nLegs

Arachnopeon
ohok thanks.. so basically ill keep these ones untill they wither die off or my T begins feeding prior to that.

and then ill just buy a few at a time. thats nto a huge issue.

ty for the reply

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perfect excuse to go out and get another T or 2!

I use flukers cricket food and gel. I'm sure you can use other stuff in your fridge but I never bothered to read up on them so i don't know what's suitable. Just make sure whatever you use don't turn moldy. Nothing much u can do about the smell unless you clean their enclosure often which is more work than they're worth. I keep mine in the plastic bag that they are in, and stick the bag in a tall deli cup. I sprinkle some flukers food in it to keep them alive. When they are all gone toss the bag.

t3nLegs

Arachnopeon
well the next invert im buying will be a vietnamese giant centipede. my G rosea is definitely fun as hell. but its my first one.a dn i want to have complete focus on caring for this creature as it deserves the best life i can possibly give it. when i become more experienced with them i cant see any reason not to have another few.

my goal is a T blondi... i think the guys name is robc
he has the homemade 90 gal tank.. i watched his videos and fell in love with taht thing. (except the hairs <3)

jefferson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i do the same thing as that one guy does u just run up to the pet store once a week run in with like 50 cents and come out with a couple cricx real easy and i dont have to worry about the food im feeding my T

jellybean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have moist kitchen roll for them to drink, i feed my crickets butternut squash and carrot shavings and apples, they love it, they last quite awhile, theonly time my crickets tend to die quickly is if ive bought leftover stock from the petshop thats been there for over aweek, these die coz the petshop dont feed them, just keep them all in plastic containers

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want to add that crickets need good airflow. Containers with holes poked in them never worked well for me especially if there was wet paper towel or eggcrate in there.

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want to add that crickets need good airflow. Containers with holes poked in them never worked well for me especially if there was wet paper towel or eggcrate in there.
Definitely true, a screened top will greatly improve the crickets living conditions.

As for how to keep them, place them in a plastic shoe box or anything close to that. If you do not want to purchase water crystals, you can provide vegetables. (Carrots are the best to use IME). Also you will want to provide a staple food, that being cereal, oats, dog food, fish food, bread, etc. etc., the list goes on. Remember to place the vegetable source and dry staple food on opposite ends to discourage mold growth. Also, for ventilation you should poke holes on the lid and sides of the shoebox. I would use a screen top, but since you are only storing a small amount, just take the lid off daily for about 20 minutes to allow fresh air in.

Last edited: