Help..cricket laying eggs?

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I put a cricket in My P. Ornata cage since she rejected a roach, she seemed to not want the cricket either since they are usually caught in about 10 seconds. While the cricket was crawling around it was putting it's long black tail thing down into the substrate. It did this about 4 times and then I decided to take it out just in case. Is this what crickets do when they lay eggs, and if it did will I just have to wait 'til they hatch and remove them? Thanks guys!

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah it was laying eggs... i cant even get cricets to hatch when i try to so it shouldent be a problem also when they do hatch there are so small there barly visible to the naked eye you wont even notice them and only four shouldent be a problem

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So the crickets just pretty much wait to get onto some damp substrate and lay the eggs? Cuz these crix have been sitting in their jar with just egg crates for about 2 weeks.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IF the cricket eggs hatch (and unless you keep the substrate damp, they won't) the baby crickets will be too small and delicate to be harmful. They'll probably just dry up and die.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are more likely to dive into the nearest water dish and drown. So no worry. :D

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sweet, thanks guys. Is there a way to tell crickets apart just by eye? male/female that is

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one with a stick out of its butt is a female. The one without is a male.

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's what i was thinking , thanks guys! Hope my girl molts soon, hasn't come out of her hide for a week and isn't eating :D