Methods of securing lids of frequent escapees besides stacking things on top.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We all have (or had) them--Ts that excel at popping the lid of their enclosure off enough to escape (aquarium/terrarium type enclosures). Besides putting the dictionaries and phone books to use (which looks tacky and is a pain) does anyone have a method for keeping the lids securely in place?

--the nature boy

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use packing tape to keep some of my lids on. Makes the tank sucure and does not harm the T's

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use velcro too- with and without sticky backs. The ones with the sticky backs go on the tank and lid, the ones without the sticky back holds the two items together. I used to use tank clips but velcro is much cheaper.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We all have (or had) them--Ts that excel at popping the lid of their enclosure off enough to escape (aquarium/terrarium type enclosures). Besides putting the dictionaries and phone books to use (which looks tacky and is a pain) does anyone have a method for keeping the lids securely in place?

--the nature boy
Specifically, what kind of lids are you using?

james.m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can buy clips at any LPS for issues like that, or velcro of course.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Velcro is awesome. I also use leftover stone pavers (1" x 4" x 8") on a couple of the bigger tanks.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
double-sided velcro on the inside of the tank lid. can't see it at all, but it holds it down decent enough. i use it on my 8" para's cage.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey..I used to use velcro on my tank lids. Double sided on the edge of the tank and on the inside of the screen lid. I found that the noise/vibration sent my t's into a panic EVERYTIME! Very annoying when you want to get good pics or handle cause they bolt when that velcro starts tearing apart. I then removed the velcro entirely and started tying some black shoelace type string around the lid and tank(upright arboreal setups), it wasnt the most aesthetically appealing solution, but its not too bad either(and I felt very secure knowing it was tight). Then I got small hooks with a very strong glue back, stuck them to the side of the tank (one high, one low) facing away from the lid. Then I drilled holes to match up with the hooks. Now the lid is attached by string in four spots. Its quiet, easy to unhook and secure. All this cause I cant find the screen locking clips to buy anywhere..lol

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just your standard screen ones.
I've got quite a few of those too. LLLreptiles sells a plastic version with a sliding door for a little over ten bucks- they come with plastic locking tabs. I've stopped buying these screen lids though. Found out I could buy a 3/32" thick plexiglass and install it on my tanks with acrylic hinges and acrylic hasps for about half the cost of a metal screened lid. Just cut and glue a strip of plexi on both ends of the tank, then attach the hinges on one end and the hasp on the other end. I posted pics of the hinges and hasp on RobC's acrylic lid thread. But I would not recommend it unless you have some spare time and tools to work with acrylic. So much simpler to velcro the lids if you have them already.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=133188&highlight=lid+tutorial

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lol everyone beat me to the tape suggestion. Nice thread title NB lol.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use the metal clip things for my habitual escapees. They are around $4 for a set of two and work really good.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In five years Ive only had one escape it was when I first upgraded to buying Ts off the boards and I bought an avic avic .75" and I tried to put it in a critter keeper(first sling) that it of course squeezed out of. but I dont normally keep Ts in anything with a screen once they get up to 1.5" I put them in a critter keeper and they have never pushed the lid off because of the little latch they have on the underside of the lid.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a g rosea in a kritter keeper, do i have to worry about it escaping?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know you wanted ideas without stacking things on top but what I do is find cool looking rocks with fossils on them and put those on the lids. It does the job and looks a bit better than a book at least:D