Is this illegal??

Inverts02

Arachnopeon
Not sure if im suppose to put this here but here we go. I heard from some moron that it is illegal to trade/sell or give away any kind of animals. This is including tarantulas and reptiles and such without a permit? From what I gather as long as its your own stock and your not purchasing from a wholesaler then its legal. I mean look at all the expos and such are they saying that all expos are illegal and its a black market gathering. FRom what I read anything that is domestic you need a permit to sell not inverts or reptiles. Please help me out on this thanks.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Permits.?...We don' need no stinkin' permits!!:D
If its required then I guess I'm an outlaw then.;P....and I won't be the only one here. Never actually heard about the "legal issue" of buying/selling myself.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what? you dont need a permit. i dont kno, maybe if your a breeder, or somethin.

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't see anything in there that mentioned exotics or anything besides cats, dogs, birds, and ferrets. Plus it is only specifying New Hampshire right?
But the restriction of even the animals listed is ridiculous...

Inverts02

Arachnopeon
Well from what these people told me this law is suppose to be nationwide. But ive looked at other places and it was all pretty much the same and never brought u anything to do with inverts and reptiles. I just wanna make sure im not the only one who thinks im right but these people still insist on that I need to be licensed or anyone else for that matter. Plus the only place I found that inverts are illegal is maine which is weird by itself.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh yeah. ok. you do need a permit to sell anything on, like, side of the road or somethin. cuz it like you opened ur own store, and u do need a permit for that. i forget what its called. but selling out of the newspaper, or classified ads, you dont need one. u need one if you were sellin, maybe, ur underwear, or tarantula, whatever, from side of the road, tho. is that what ur talkin about? i know on signs on side of the road in places like california, and certain places in deep south texas, say no selling without permit. but, if your sellin somethin out of ur house, you dont need one. if you had to have a permit, there wouldnt be so many garage sales. so the other people are nuts! what, are they just trying to get money out of you. its kinda like fruit stands, for example, you gota, or are supposed to have a permit for that. so if u set up tarantulas, like a fruit stand, and sold them, you would need a permit. but, if you advertised in the newspaper, and people had to come to your house to see them, you wouldnt need a permit to do that.

Last edited:

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya Im not sure after rereading it. Im sure someone else on this board can decipher this, laws and codes and such are always so loooong winded.

Inverts02

Arachnopeon
Yes I know you need a permit to sellout of a store because you are dealing directly with the public. But these people are saying you need a permit to sell out of your house to a couple of people here and there. Also that the expos are just one big black market a couple of times a year. Ive went through all sorts of laws and stuff and have never found one law saying aything about inverts and reptiles and such. Only like dogs,cats cows and stuff. I just wanted to assure myself and make sure i wasnt the only person.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes I know you need a permit to sellout of a store because you are dealing directly with the public. But these people are saying you need a permit to sell out of your house to a couple of people here and there. Also that the expos are just one big black market a couple of times a year. Ive went through all sorts of laws and stuff and have never found one law saying aything about inverts and reptiles and such. Only like dogs,cats cows and stuff. I just wanted to assure myself and make sure i wasnt the only person.
if expos were a black market, then why do they advertise. and law enforcement know where its at then, how come they aint raided. you dont need a dang permit. they're crazy. and, i didnt mean an actual store, in a building. i mean LIKE a store.

Inverts02

Arachnopeon
Yes I know what you mean I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going crazy now that its very clear to me thanks.

Wickedreptile

Arachnopeon
Whoever told you that should wake up. You don't need a permit.I know here in MA you need permits to own certain animals Nothing on tarnatulas.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like they're either confused, paranoid, trying to upset you, or any combination of the three.

GrammatonCleric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been at expos with DNR cops on hand for species enforcement, uniformed police for security presence and a liscensed vet to do animal inspections. I've bought and sold animals this way and no one ever asked me for a permit. There are permits required in some states based on species, and of course endangered/native species can be an issue, but in general I call shenanigans on whoever told you this crap.

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T's are illegal in NYC too. They violate the "health code."

GrammatonCleric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How the heck are Hedgehogs a threat to the pork industry in Pennsylvania? That's why they are illegal there!