Cricket Laying Eggs in my T's Substrate.

darkuncle33

Arachnopeon
I gave my L Parahybana 4" a large cricket.. the T did not eat it and after about 2 hrs. when I checked on her I saw the Cricket Laying Eggs. I scooped that out and am going to change the substrate..... I have had Ts for 16 years and never seen that. Have any of you?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
16 years and never had that happen before? Wow, you are either amazing or just lucky LOL

Dont worry, the crix will die

darkuncle33

Arachnopeon
i have had a g rosea for 16 years and never had crickets this big.... well some if they live that long and my rosea's substrate is very dry .... A new pet shop in town gets full grown ones in. I have just been getting them there for about a week or so............ Oh well maybe it happend I just never saw it..... have 6 Ts now got 5 in Nov

Last edited:

binary71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I breed crickets in my garage over the summer. If you put in a pregnant female and she doesn't get eaten she will lay her eggs where she is. Like the other guy said just let the substrate dry out and the eggs will die. No need to change it all.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, its usually impossible to get them not to lay eggs. If you put an adult female in, generally you will get eggs. heck, since my heterometrus tank is humid ive gotten hundreds of pinhead crickets running around.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
something that will help a little bit with that, is if you either crimp, or even better, cut the ovipositor off female crickets. this isn't foolproof, but it will help a bit.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
something that will help a little bit with that, is if you either crimp, or even better, cut the ovipositor off female crickets. this isn't foolproof, but it will help a bit.
Cutting it will just make it shorter. There's still a straight line and a hole where the eggs can come out. Folding it in half is the best thing to do.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely, it happens all the time, best thing to do, and yes it is annoying, if you cannot moniter all of your t's feedings rip the egg injecting tube off of the cricket's butt, then she wont be able to lay eggs.

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just keep any eye out because if the eggs do hatch they can irritate your T. Had a group hatch with an A. Anax and she was furiously running around and I had to get a close look to actually see them trying to crawl on her. She kept kicking hair for what appeared to be no reason and finally had to move her and change the substrate.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heh. This just happened to me. A bunch of crickets I picked up from the pet store were pregnant and started laying eggs as soon as I put them in the tank.
They layed them all right next to the water dish so I ended up with a thick film of dead baby crickets. Kind of sad, really.
The ones that survived don't seem to bother anything so I'm just leaving them until they starve or drown. No way I'll be able to catch them and changing the substrate will stress out my T way more than the crix.