Spider for a Classroom

buggal

Arachnopeon
So I am thinking of buying a T for my teacher friend. I have discussed it with her and she is excited about it. However, I am having trouble deciding which one to get. I would like to get a late-juvi or adult, price must not be too much, care must be minimal, it must be cool to look at, not too aggressive (yet aggressive enough to be cool) and not a Rose hair (they are cool but so common). This is for a early elementary school classroom, if that helps any. I have ideas, but I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you think size would be a factor? Could it be a fairly large T or are you thinking of a small one?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G aureostriata
E campestratus
B ablopilosum

I teach Jr High, These are the ones I would recomend for a class pet. All are good looking, easy to care, for and you should be able to get a sexed female fairly cheap.

John

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. versicolour?
late juvie / adult versi costs in the hundred! The OP wants a cheap T. And I wouldn't consider caring for a versi "minimal".

late juvie/ adult G aureostriata is also expensive!

I think a Aphonopelma hentzi/flagstaff should be good for your purpose. Adults cost around 70 bucks. I had a flagstaff that eats well, visible and handle-able. And the urticating hair didn't seem to affect me that badly (as compared to a Greenbottle blue or an A. geniculata).

Or a Lasiodora parahybana wouldn't be a bad idea. Always readily available and cheap.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that for an American classroom it would be thoughtful to go for an American variety of T. How about an A hentzi, A anax, etc? There are plenty of species of Aphonopelma out there for reasonable prices. I particularly enjoy my "Paysoni blonde"

slinky1000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
apologies

sorry i think A. veriscolur are the dogs, and in UK, arent that expensive if bought young, missed the adult bit, i apologise

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd stick with docile terrestrials. Easier to handle, keep, feed. Any avic will be all over that classroom if a student ever lets it out.

Any Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma.

dunawayj

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P cancerides. Pretty cheap and definately interesting, never mind putting on a show. As long as it is just a display spider.

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd stick with docile terrestrials. Easier to handle, keep, feed. Any avic will be all over that classroom if a student ever lets it out.

Any Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma.
I love these three but you got to watch out for the hair kicking. It's going to be in an elementary school.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry i think A. veriscolur are the dogs, and in UK, arent that expensive if bought young, missed the adult bit, i apologise
No prob, m8. :D

I think that for an American classroom it would be thoughtful to go for an American variety of T. How about an A hentzi, A anax, etc? There are plenty of species of Aphonopelma out there for reasonable prices. I particularly enjoy my "Paysoni blonde"
Precisely! :D Considering that some of them are beautiful as well!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Just get an LP, cheap, hardy, grows fast, and gets very large. Perfect Classroom T.:cool:

jasen&crystal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the lp would be good but i think A. chalcodes would be great,low maintace hardy, docile and wont hide all day.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My vote would be G. aureostriata. They get a good size and are docile enough for that age group.

The problem I have with L. parahybana is that they flick hair a lot and I've known several people that have terrible reactions to their hair versus other species.

If you want an arboreal, I'd go with an A. avic or A. versicolor.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just get an LP, cheap, hardy, grows fast, and gets very large. Perfect Classroom T.:cool:
Definitely lp, grammostola rosea/aureostriata, acanthoscurria geniculata. What's wrong with a commom t? Elementary school kids have probably never even seen a real tarantula. You can get a 6 inch mature female rosea for like $20 as well. Kids would enjoy watching an lp or geniculata grow from spiderling to a notable size over the year.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to be a kill joy but you better do some investigating within the school district before even considering this. Class pets in general have been a large area of debate in my local school districts. Pretty much they are not allowed. I know this is a shame. Most school districts aren't willing to risk anything. They won't even allow a rat in case it bites a student and the kids parents sue the school district. There are also some stipulations on what's allowed in the class if pets are allowed. With Ts having venom included with the bite, it may be a big no no. No matter how responsible the teacher may be, the students aren't always the most responsible no matter what the argument. A student could be completely at fault and the teacher and school district would be held liable even for insignificant injuries.

All i'm saying is do your research and really really think about this before getting your hopes up. I know this stuff from personal experience. Might be easier to keep one at home and just bring it in for a show and tell day but not let any students touch or hold it due to new school rules. Just check on dos and don'ts of classroom animals per your school district.