Thinking of getting a scorpion

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really don't care for emperors, so I was wondering if Vaejovis confusus would be a good first species. Though I do not own scorpions, I do own almost 100 Ts so I am not new to invert keeping.

Thanks,

Art

atrox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep Vaejovis spinigerus, and one dropped babies this year but they didn't make it... I like them the least of my scorps though to be honest. They burrow a lot, and are always super pissy. I wouldn't get rid of them for anything, but other species are more interesting to me.

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go for a desert hairy. I got mine the other day (First scorp) they are super cool! :)

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can get a flat rock.... H. paucidens or H. troglodytes.

PM me if that is something you are interested in....I am needing to sell a few of mine... (H. trog)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Desert Hairy for a big one.
Or a couple of Centruroides Vittatus/Sculputurus for little ones.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive heard nothing but good things abour desert hairies so id go with what aztek and tryme said. getting one in a few weeks. just be ready for another addiction! just like Ts

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive heard nothing but good things abour desert hairies so id go with what aztek and tryme said. getting one in a few weeks. just be ready for another addiction! just like Ts
Kool pnshmntMMA! Deff. my personal favorite. As soon as I get a few more tanks ready, I'll get some more, myself.;P

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely an addiction. I had an emperor once. That lasted for about two months and then I traded it in for a fat tail and got a deathstalker. I then said I would not have enough room for anything else. Then I got two parabuthus villosus. I said I was done. Now I am getting 4 more deathstalkers. What the freakin' crap. Shoulda taken up smoking crack...

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
vaejovis confuscious WOULD be a pretty good scorpion, but unless they are wild in your area, i cant imagine you would have a lot of luck finding any. there are tons of nice species out there, including emperors (dont let the fact that they are common blind you from their charm) but it all comes down to preference.

John

vanquisher91

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seeing as you own many T's, I don't think a hot species would be that big of an issue for you, as the only real concern with these guys is keeping them safely out of reach and making their enclosures escape proof. With this in mind, C. sculpturatus, or Arizona Bark Scorpions are a really good scorp.

They are very easy to keep and interesting to watch. Unlike a lot of other scorps, they use upright pieces of wood/bark as hides so they never become "pet holes" like other burrowing or terrestrial dwelling species. Whenever I walk past the two that I have, they're always doing something interesting which catches my eye. Another plus with these guys is the more the better. These guys are very communal and seem to fare better when they have multiple friends in with them. They also breed like rabbits and eat like pigs.

JDHuskey

Arachnopeon
B. jacksoni are a pretty good first scorpion, easy to get ahold of, easy to breed, easy to raise, pretty cool looking, fairly communal (as adults anyway), and aren't burrowers.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
at first i though, eh everyone has an emp, i want something mean. then i thought nah crawl before you walk and got 2 emps. (plus emps were all i could find locally). my emps provide me with entertainment all the time. at about 10pm they come out and start moving about and switching hides, and patrolling the area with force. they go sit in the water, or climb low logs and plants, and run in and out of their burrows, they seem to be the ideal healthy scorps. during the day they look dead. but at night they seem to be extremely active. its very cool to watch, and theyre massive scorps that are very tough, they fight often, because i believe they recently mated. but are tough enough to never hurt each other. just mist and keep it hot and your golden. i dont have anything bad to say about the emps, i agree with Pandinus, they rock.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Vaejovis sp.... I love them! I have had several V. spinigerus and they are very interesting and fun to keep. They even can be setup communally with a type of gecko (do not recall what kind). Do not let others throw you off, they are very active and make neat burrows if given the chance. Give them a try :).

atrox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seeing as you own many T's, I don't think a hot species would be that big of an issue for you, as the only real concern with these guys is keeping them safely out of reach and making their enclosures escape proof. With this in mind, C. sculpturatus, or Arizona Bark Scorpions are a really good scorp.

They are very easy to keep and interesting to watch. Unlike a lot of other scorps, they use upright pieces of wood/bark as hides so they never become "pet holes" like other burrowing or terrestrial dwelling species. Whenever I walk past the two that I have, they're always doing something interesting which catches my eye. Another plus with these guys is the more the better. These guys are very communal and seem to fare better when they have multiple friends in with them. They also breed like rabbits and eat like pigs.
I couldn't agree with this more. I have a colony of about ten. I would gladly setup another colony as well. They often pile up on top of each other, and do interesting things. When he said they eat like pigs, they do. I should have taken a pic the last time I saw it but...

I have seen several of them with a cricket in each claw, and one in the maw! Now that's a pig. They are hot so just keep your hands out and watch them.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as far as beginners go i have heard alot of good about p. cavimarus(red claw scorpion) they are as easy to care for as emps but a bit more feisty. the big downside is they are not communal. from what i understand they tend to be a bit cannibalistic.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
vaejovis confuscious WOULD be a pretty good scorpion, but unless they are wild in your area, i cant imagine you would have a lot of luck finding any. there are tons of nice species out there, including emperors (dont let the fact that they are common blind you from their charm) but it all comes down to preference.

John
Although they are not wild in my area, my spider dealer has some for sale and I have been eying them for a while now. He also has emperors and desert hairys, I just like the looks of the vaejovis better.

Thanks for the reply,

Art