Re-using substrate and hides

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I am assuming that you should not re-use substrate between Tarantulas, due to them filling it with their web and hair, but would it be bad to re-use it between other inverts that do not web or have hair? I always toss out old T substrate when rehouseing (or use it in the new setups for that same T), but I think in the past I have reused substrate from my scorpions for T's when I was really low. I have not had any problems, but at the same time I dont remember who I did this for. So would this be considered a bad or unhygenic practice?

Also, what do you have to do to a hide after it has been used for some time to get it suitable for use by another T? As my slings get larger, their old hides are becoming too small, but I dont think I should throw them away.

Oh, also would it be bad to use hides and decorations from reptile tanks in invert, particularly tarantula, enclosures?

Last edited:

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I reuse substrate and hide all the time. Never had any problem. But I throw away the substrate that is webbed over or if I suspect something maybe hiding (e.g. an uneaten mealworm - very applicable for slings).

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't reuse substrate. Not for hygenic reasons, but because tarantulas leave their scent all over their substrate and I don't want it to weird the next tarantula out. I don't think it's harmful, but substrate is pretty cheap.

For waterdishes and stuff, I just wash them off and reuse them because I don't want to go buying more.

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh, also would it be bad to use hides and decorations from reptile tanks in invert, particularly tarantula, enclosures?
Clean it real good and I don't see a problem with it.

And as for reusing substrate: I don't reuse substrate but that is just my personal choice not because I have any facts that its bad :D

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cleaning and reusing hides and dishes is no big deal. I understand that sometime reusing substrate is the easier thing to do. However, we don't have to change our substrate that much and if you're doing it right you can get it fairly cheap so why reuse it? I don't know if it's a bad thing or not but I wouldn't want to sleep in someone elses sheets.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i think irishpolishman said all that is needed, granted you can reuese it but WHY? its cheap, also i always either mix my cocofiber leftovers into my landscape in front of my house or compost it usually i compost it then use that as fertilizer for plants outside...just get more or if you want or have to use it again i have also used it to clean up oil slicks in the garage from when i make a mess chaging oil or something or fill a tube up and wha la door snake(blocks cold air drafts) and as far as the scent thinggoes thats true but you can always bake it....

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like dumping used substrate in spots I don't want insects getting into. It amuses me to know that bugs who want to eat my plants have to get through a bit of urticating hair to do so. {D

I use mostly corkbark for hides and tank decoration, anything smaller then about my fist gets trashed when I no longer want to use it with the T its been with, anything bigger hasn't been an issue yet as my big girls are still going strong.

Bottlecap water-dishes for juvies get tossed, anything else non porous gets a good scrubbing and (when feasible) an afternoon in the sun.

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Reusing substrate is kinda like staying at an overnight motel when housekeeping hasn't been cleaning and removing sheets for the last few weeks...yeah... {D

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't reuse substrate. I have a dump pile in the trees at the edge of the yard. I know the T's leave a scent and hairs as well. I don't reuse porous decorations like corkbark. I do reuse waterdishes and hides but I thoroughly wash them. I keep some T's in plastic shoeboxes, and reuse those after a thorough washing. I occasionally trade uncleaned enclosures with adult males and females, hoping an adult female will become more receptive to my male. I'll switch them for a day at a time if my female doesn't want the male.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Reusing substrate is kinda like staying at an overnight motel when housekeeping hasn't been cleaning and removing sheets for the last few weeks...yeah... {D
Yuck!!! I read that many hotels only wash the blankets once every month or in some cases once a year. Clean sheets yes, but the blankets are oftentimes filthy. That stresses me. I don't want to stress my T's.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Buy an a little pen-lite alternative light source.

I won't stay in a hotel without one of these. It detects body fluids like semen and urine. First thing I do is pull back the covers and check it out. I have been given better rooms for what I pointed out to the staff. In fact, the head of house keeping is usually grateful for the tip on quality control. Good hygiene is important to me. I'm not paying someone $200 to get me sick. :rolleyes:

As with used substrate, same thing not very hygienic. Not to mention the build up of urticating hairs may increase your chances of having a reaction to them.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I reuse profusely, but I always mix some new earth with the old, and I won't put NW Ts old substrate with other animals (because of the hairs).

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Reuse clean substrate. Toss anything with feces, webbing, etc.

Cage decor, wash in hot soapy water, rinse well and reuse.

Enclosures, same as decor.