Can you tell if a female Rosie is gravid in one month?

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am checking out this add on craigslist. The guy is selling a "pregnant" rose hair and "pregnant" emperor with enclosure for $50. Fair deal depending on the enclosures. I am probing this guy due to his use of terms. I asked him when he paired up the rose hair and the emp. He said a month ago and they are looking really fat. The emp is BS, but could the rosie be obviously gravid after a month? I have never bred anything, so I'm really not sure on this one. If I go and check her out is there anything to look for (besides giving a guess at actually being a female)?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have never bred anything yet either but I would ask some specfic questions just to see if he knows much about breeding. You could also throw in some trick questions to see if he knows what he's talking about.
As far as I've gathered from reading threads, roseas can take a while to drop a sack. A month sounds too soon. If the Emp is BS, I would say there is a very good chance the rosea is as well. But you never know.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a G. rosea who is laying matting for a sack at this very moment. It took several months for her to look plump enough to call gravid, but who knows. Temperature and feeding will probably cause that to vary from one situation to another.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think even six months could still be too early to tell. I bought a WC rosie and she dropped a sac nine months later. She always looked somewhat plump, but that was mostly due to the pet store employees feeding her every other day. She didn't really get huge until about a month before she dropped the sac, but I thought it was because I was sort of overdoing it with my newly acquired roaches.

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I asked the guy for pics and he never got back to me. And yes, I did probe him for basic terminology- no avail. If they were free I would care if he was full of BS or not. But $50 is a little much, just on the grounds of his character

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah but was the sack fertile.
If you're asking me, yes, it was.

I was going to pull it from her on Day 30, but I caught her eating it on Day 28. Only three eggs with legs remained, but they didn't make it. :wall:

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're asking me, yes, it was.

I was going to pull it from her on Day 30, but I caught her eating it on Day 28. Only three eggs with legs remained, but they didn't make it. :wall:
Yes I was talking to you. And im sorry for your loss.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually producing a sac in one month is believable. I've had my female Rosie for a while, got her as a subadult and then about a month and a half after molting and fattening up, I bred her. I bred her on April 19th, and exactly one week later on the 26th (both in 2008). By the 31st of May 2008 she produced the sac. I pulled it July 3rd and there were only a couple black eggs, the rest were already passed 1st instar. So, I'm thinking with her already being very well fed and warm, she had ovaries long ready for the male :) It took just over a month for the whole process of laying the sac. I think if a female is extremely well fed and warm (and cooling periods/other prerquisites for breeding certain species are met) they can produce sacs rather quikly IMO and with this experience in mind. Should also take into account that she was young (less than 4" even after that molt) and about another 3 months after pulling the sac she molted again. Anyway that's my story. But as for your situation, like many others mentioned, make sure the guy is ligit if you are buying them because you want a future sac/babies. And also, before my girl laid, she didn't look excessively gravid. Just looked like she was a healthy cricket-eater nothing special or obvious as far as "pregnant looking" goes. Her sac had 200 babies and about 175 made it to about .5". Hope this helped. Keep us updated!

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I gave up on that rosie. My OBt is probably gravid. She cohabed with an MM for week, and there was plenty of drumming and chasing. That ended on the 28th. Hopefully in a month I'll have a bunch.