my pink toe won't spin any sort of retreat?

ringo3632

Arachnopeon
is this normal? cause anything that i read says how the first thing they do is make a retreat. but he just hangs out on some sticks i have in there... are they happy like that or should i try a new set up?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You just haven't waited long enough. Changing the setup now will only stress the T out and start the waiting period all over again. ;)

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe it doesnt feel the need to. perhaps the enclosed environment within and room that is itself closed off, doesnt create a sense of exposure.

perhaps some air movement(not a lot), circulation would be enough to stimulate the desire for shelter.

maybe some lose material could be used as base material in which to build a hide from.

cagey

Arachnopeon
Note: I bought the enclosure that my T was housed in while she was at the LPS - the guy there at the time knew what he was doing with Ts and I did not want to switch her environment because I was afraid of stressing her out. Since he was my buddy, he didn't have a problem just letting me buy it.

Anyway, I have had my T since last May and she has never, ever webbed herself a retreat. While I guess this is a sign she feels comfortable in it, I have been harrassed on Flickr (of all places!) about my T being in too small of an enclosure. I actually had to block the commenter from my snaps because of it!

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This works for me...

I provide my adult Pink Toe with a long section of cork bark, which I lean vertically against the back of the tank in such a way that there's about 2-3 in. of space between the tank surface and one side of the bark, thus creating a small nook behind it.

She's consistently, and in not much time, built a thickly walled tunnel of web the whole length of the bark between it and the tank surface. It's just under a foot long, quite impressive. And because one half of it is exposed to the tank surface, I can see her whenever I want.

I also provide lots of ventilation from the sides of the tank. The comment about airflow possibly encouraging web building is interesting...

If you're in need of a good vertically oriented set up, the large arboreal tanks from tarantlacages.com are awesome. Well worth the money. Mine's thriving in one.

http://www.tarantulacages.com/arboreal.html

ringo3632

Arachnopeon
yeah i had her in a ten gallon tank on it's side but it was waaay to big cause she's still pretty little. but she was in that for a while while i was away at school and never put any webbing down and when i got home i moved her to a much smaller critter carrier that she seems to like more cause she's moving around and eating better ect but it's been bout... 2 months. like i said she sems much happier but i'm excited to see a retreat at some point...

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Relax, it will be fine. It can take them several months to build a new web after being moved, be patient, and don't stress her out by moving her around and looking at her every few minutes to see if she has webbed, lol. (yes, I did it too!)
She will be quite fine. Just give her time and soon she will suprise you with a beautiful tube web.