so...i am indecisive!

dWebster

Arachnopeon
hello everyone! i am new to the boards and really like it!! but to the point, i am thinking of getting a new T..(right now all i have is a Rosie).. but i am unsure what to go with and would like any input. the ones i am kinda looking at are the ....
a. versicolor
p. regalis
g. smithi.
i was thinking of going arboreal for this one since my Rosie is not(obviously). but the red knees are so damn cool looking. witch is also y i like the regalis. but, i am not going to lie the regalis is a little intimidating :). and i would def. not be planing on holding her!!! ANYWAY.... which one well prob. be more active(from your experience)? which would be better in your opinions?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not G. smithi. It should be B. smithi (Brachypelma smithi).

I would recommend a B. smithi as a second T.

Regalis is fast and more venomous. I think it's better to familiarize with a defensive terrestrial/burrower first before going into pokies.

Keeping a versi is not easy (the experts will say otherwise but that's why they are experts!). Do some research, you will find many people crying over dead versi.

dWebster

Arachnopeon

I would recommend a B. smithi first. Regalis is fast and more venomous. Keeping a versi is not easy (the experts will say otherwise but that's why they are experts!).
OOPS!! sorry g. rosea.. b. smithi ..:wall: :wall: :wall: . this is y i am asking the pros!!

Crusaderwithgat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have all three. The smithi tends to "hang out" alot more and is an aggressive eater and is nice to look at. Get one of those first.

Jim

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I would recommend a B. smithi as a second T.

Regalis is fast and more venomous. I think it's better to familiarize with a defensive terrestrial/burrower first before going into pokies.

Keeping a versi is not easy (the experts will say otherwise but that's why they are experts!). Do some research, you will find many people crying over dead versi.
Eh If he/she(?) uses commen sense while having the regalis, I don't see a problem with her having it. Some people have P. regalis as their second t.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suggest that you wait on the regalis for a bit. Decide if you would be more interested in a tree or ground spider and make your decision from that. If you are interested in a tree spider that climbs and webs a lot, go with a versicolor, if you are more interested in a ground dwelling T that burrows, go with the smithi. Both of them are wonderful beginner Ts and they are both very pretty so you can't go wrong with either.
I wouldn't suggest a colbalt for a first T, but then again, it is your choice. You will do what you want. We can only give you suggestions.

ringo3632

Arachnopeon
i got an avicularia avicularia for my second t and i don't regret it for a second. she hasn't spun a retreat yet but it amazes me to see her climbing around the branches and walls in her tank!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I meant is to try SLOW defensive species first before going into FAST + defensive + highly venomous. For instance, I found my Ceratogyrus darlingi quite defensive but she is not that fast. Or maybe try a cambridgei/irminia (arboreal, fast and quite defensive but without the highly venomous pokie venom).

I agree with Mina, except that I wouldn't touch a versi as a 2nd T. Versi slings die easily and adult versi is expensive! Avic avic is commonly thought of as a good first arboreal T. Very cheap and actually hardier than a versi.

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My second T was a Cobalt. (My first was a rosie too!) You can get whatever you want as long as you don't get too comfortable around them too fast.

dWebster

Arachnopeon
What I meant is to try SLOW defensive species first before going into FAST + defensive + highly venomous. For instance, I found my Ceratogyrus darlingi quite defensive but she is not that fast. Or maybe try a cambridgei/irminia (arboreal, fast and quite defensive but without the highly venomous pokie venom).
what can you tell me about the p. irminia?? i never even looked into them at all? how big do they get? stricktly crickit eaters? climate? shit like that..

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. Irminia- They get about 7" and they eat crickets or roaches. They like the normal arboreal setup, more hight than ground space. Although, as slings, P. irmini's like to burrow so provide 5" of substrate.

dWebster

Arachnopeon
P. Irminia- They get about 7" and they eat crickets or roaches. They like the normal arboreal setup, more hight than ground space. Although, as slings, P. irmini's like to burrow so provide 5" of substrate.
thank you :)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
versicolor are great. You might want to consider Avicularia metallica as well.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd go for the B. Smithi.. or you may want to try other Brachys as well.. :D

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P. regalis are very fun to watch. Just be careful when sticking your hands inside because they can be a little feisty. As long as you are careful and don't put your hands near it you should be fine. Mine will usually run and hide before it bites unless it thinks im food.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on what you want I guess...if you want a more beautiful display tarantula, most definitely go with the Brachypelma smithi. If you want a more "interesting" tarantula, go with the Poecilotheria regalis. The Poecilotherias, in my experience, have been much easier to keep than the Avicularias. The only thing you have to watch for is their incredible speed. They seemingly beam themselves from one side of their cage to the other. They do web some, but not nearly as much as an Avic. An Avic will generally disappear into its webbing within a week, never to be seen again, unless you tear its webbing out. The regalis, like other Poecilotheria, build tube webs, and do a little other webbing just to decorate, but not much. At least I get to view mine every single day! They are fairly active, and come out to explore all the time...except when they are approaching molt.

Many people take on the Poecilotheria or Heteroscodra as a first tarantula, so it really depends on what you feel up to, and what you want.