molting questions

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have two pandinus imperator scorpions. one is a juvie that looks like it might molt soon. not like any day now or anything but probably a month or so.
so i have a couple of questions. first of all is it safe to leave the two together after the molt? i know they are communal and these two get along very well, however is it common for them to take the easy meal after a molt?
second what exactlt happens during a molt? i know they shed their old "skin"(i do not know the right word for their exo)but how? what is left after words exactly? i did try the search function just so you all know and most of what i turned up was "YAY MY SCORPION MOLTED FINALLY! it was fun to read but did not answer my questions. like how do they pull their claws out from the old ones? sorry for the noob question but i am after all still a bit of a noob:p

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's fine to leave them together. communal species such as pandinus and heteromtrus have even been observed "defending! moulting cagemates from any intruders. they'll be fine. :)

as for moulting;

It starts when the tip of the carapace splits then the scorpion pushes it's way out.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPqiVp82KI

it's amazing how much they an distort thier bodies when moulting.

Demerson

Arachnopeon
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a follow up question that's better suited to this thread than making a new one.

I've had my Emp for 8 months, first scorp that I've owned, and he's yet to molt, but from his appearance, I'd guess that he's soon due.

I'm just wondering if scorpions, specifically Emperors, have any position that they go into that's a tell-tale for a molt? I know Tarantulas flip over on their backs, but do scorpions do anything similar?

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
scorpions don't really do anything tell-tale, apart from become inactive a few days prior to the moult.

also, if your scorpion is mature (Emp = dark red chestnutty coloured telson) it won't moult anymore.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do they tend to molt in their hide or out of it? cuz i would really like to be able to see it molt.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All the scorpions I have seen moulting were out in the open. I think it would be akward to mould inside a burrow, especially if cagemates are going in and out.

it's really amazing to watch.

CUebbing

Arachnopeon
It's fine to leave them together. communal species such as pandinus and heteromtrus have even been observed "defending! moulting cagemates from any intruders. they'll be fine. :)
I have two pandinus imperators together and one started molting yesterday. She was out in the open with the other one standing over her. When I went over to the tank to have a look the one standing over her quickly ran over to the side of the tank and tapped her claws on the side like she was trying to scare me away. What makes this unusual is that if they are ever out of their hide and I come over to look at them they quickly run into the hide. Sure seemed like she was defending the scorp that was molting. I peeked at them an hour later and the defensive on was back standing over the molting one. I just left them alone and this morning they are back under the hide and whats left of molt is laying out. I assume all went well.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Methinks this behaviour is triggered by the moulting scorpion realeasing pheromones, but I don't know if this is solid as species that aren't communal, if they found a scorpion moulting, they would probably canabalize. perhaps the stimuli of living with other scorpions triggers the pheromone. just what I think may cause it..