T won't eat mouse

Reaganomics

Arachnopeon
My Rosie won't eat my pinky mouse, so i took the mouse out and I put crickets in the cage, they didn't get eaten so do you think my T is in pre-molt? It hasn't eaten in three days including today.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It hasn't eaten in three days including today
Here we go again. {D Thinking a T not eating for three days means something is like thinking a human not eating for ten minutes means something. If you feed more than once every week or two, you're feeding too much - and Ts can go without eating MUCH longer than that with no real effect whatsoever.

No, it doesn't always mean premolt. Especially if you feed too much, the T may just be full.

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mushroom spore again why so rude. I mean your rose hair my not want mice. It may prefer crickets or roaches

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here we go again. {D Thinking a T not eating for three days means something is like thinking a human not eating for ten minutes means something. If you feed more than once every week or two, you're feeding too much - and Ts can go without eating MUCH longer than that with no real effect whatsoever.

No, it doesn't always mean premolt. Especially if you feed too much, the T may just be full.
Ditto.....

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mushroom spore again why so rude. I mean your rose hair my not want mice. It may prefer crickets or roaches
usually I'm with the poster on this kind of issue, but I think she didn't cross the line.

BTW your opinion that the T may prefer crickets and roaches contradicts the OP's statement that the T has refused crickets for a whole three days now.

Kacey Jennings

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IF ever you think a T may be getting close to molting, I would avoid feeding it a mouse. The jolt of calcium can cause molt problems. IMO feeding mammals to a T is unnecessary and dangerous to the T. I stick to inverts, so as to have little possibility for injury or associated problems for my T's.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
from what i have heard rosies are psycho and unpreditible
I think this is more of a case of "rosies can go on fasts for months at a time for no apparent reason." The psycho and unpredictable thing goes along more with their attitude, not their appetite.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like perfectly healthy spider to me. I do recommend you not feed it so much though. Once or twice a week is plenty. But hey, it's your spider.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its nothing to worry about. Rose hairs don't need mice at all. They aren't that big a spider. Feed your rosie 1 to 2 full size crickets a week and that is more than enough food. They aren't active enough to need more than that.
Don't worry if your rosie doesn't want to eat, they are famous for long fasts and will be fine as long as you keep them supplied with fresh water.
The longest rose hair fast I ever heard of was 2 years!! So its okay. :D

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kacey -

...The jolt of calcium can cause molt problems...
Indeed? This is completely new to me. Where did you get this? Has anyone published (paper or Internet) any research or even anecdotal experience to support this? Can you supply references or Internet links?

I'm a bit skeptical because in nature many tarantulas routinely eat vertebrates. For example, I think that either Sam Marshall or Rick C. West reported that Theraphosa blondi, the goliath birdeater, makes a practice of eating forest floor dwelling frogs. And, the literature is replete with photos of wild tarantulas eating all manner of amphibians, reptiles and mammals.

And, some enthusiasts, especially those who keep the giant tarantulas, feed them little else but young mice. Few if any report molting problems.

Lastly, spiders in general and tarantulas in particular use little or no calcium in their exoskeletons (as opposed to crustaceans, for instance), so there's little or no direct link between the two.

If you have any further information I need to see it. Now you have me worried because if what you say is true, I need to rewrite a chapter in the Guide.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There have been a lot of threads, typically involving T blondi, which talk of bad molts and number of them blame feeding vertebrates.

Tough to establish causality because blondi is a T that people frequently feed verts to and it's also a T that has lots of problems in captivity, if these threads are any indicator.

I think jumping to the conclusion that calicum is the mechanism by which these events are linked, if indeed they are causally linked, is not super well-founded. But perhaps someone with more biology/chemistry experience can chime in on this one and enlighten us.

Certainly there have been a lot of statements like this made. Over time we all just begin to accept it as given, or at least we become suspicious.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mushroom spore again why so rude.
Maybe it's just a reflection of my own personality, but I didn't think he was rude. He just gave a straight answer. Maybe there was a touch of exasperation in there - but given the frequency with which this question gets asked, that's understandable.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it's just a reflection of my own personality, but I didn't think he was rude. He just gave a straight answer. Maybe there was a touch of exasperation in there - but given the frequency with which this question gets asked, that's understandable.
She. But yeah, I agree.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe there was a touch of exasperation in there - but given the frequency with which this question gets asked, that's understandable.
Thanks, folks, I appreciate this. :) However, on flipping through this guy's post history to see what the heck else he was referring to, turns out he's apparently still holding a grudge over this old thread ( http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=141804 ), in which he insulted me for giving a straight answer and got several of his posts deleted by the mods. In short, it's not worth anyone's time responding to that bit any further.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't be afraid if your rosie doesn't even eat for months on end. {D When I first got mine, it took a 7 month fast before she molted and started eating again. My rosie was a big girl and I fed her 3 large crickets a week. Even then, she didn't eat all of them.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My G rosea hasn't eaten sind August of '07. Don't sweat it.