Big, mean, terrestrial, display worthy

MacKenzie001

Arachnopeon
You guessed it, what do you recommend for T that is large (7-8in+), full of attitude, makes a good display T (going to be in a natural tank with relatively high humidity), terrestrial, and has a good appetite?

Thanks, Mak

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't want to deprive you of the fun of using the search function or the gallery to find out what appeals to your tastes. :)

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd go for the Acanthoscurria geniculata too. They are amazing creatures, I love mine. It is one of my collection favorites.
TBH

zwd22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aren't most geniculata on the mellow side though?

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, they are.

I'd go with a Brachy. Smithi's love to kick hairs and strut away while they're at it. Hard to beat their looks and they get good size too.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, I can't think of any really attitude filled T that fits the bill for terrestrial and good display. Most aggressive T's are burrowing or aboreal and are generally not good display T's with crazy appetites.
TBH

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you guys just trying to start another argument between me and Nature Boy? Lol.

As far as i'm concerned A genics are rather feisty for a New World terrestrial T. They're somewhat defensive, quick to throw a threat but not that quick to bite (they will bite though if you give them a reason) and they're verrrry aggressive with anything they percieve as prey. What an individual specimen may (or may not) lack in defensiveness it will make up for in prey aggression. They display well, get big and grow fast. I love 'em. They're fun t's to keep and usually give a good show for visiting friends who want to see a T doing T stuff.

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
except for the high humidity I would get a king baboon Citharischius crawshayi excellent agressive display t. I used to have a 6 to 7 inch one Hoping to get another asap.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
except for the high humidity I would get a king baboon Citharischius crawshayi excellent agressive display t. I used to have a 6 to 7 inch one Hoping to get another asap.
And except....that it's not terrestial. And except....it's a horrible display animal as it's never ever visible if kept right.

zwd22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about T.blondi??? don't get much bigger and meaner than that

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let me propose Cyriocosmus elegans for Mak to show to all his testosterone teenage friends.

You know, it has a heart shape in it's back :eek:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you guys just trying to start another argument between me and Nature Boy? Lol.

As far as i'm concerned A genics are rather feisty for a New World terrestrial T. They're somewhat defensive, quick to throw a threat but not that quick to bite (they will bite though if you give them a reason) and they're verrrry aggressive with anything they percieve as prey. What an individual specimen may (or may not) lack in defensiveness it will make up for in prey aggression. They display well, get big and grow fast. I love 'em. They're fun t's to keep and usually give a good show for visiting friends who want to see a T doing T stuff.
The finger. lol.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think so....I have personal experience with only one, but that one is everything except being mellow...no threat posture, just immediate attack....every time......sometimes when she sees me and I make a sudden move, she runs to the plastic wall of the enclosure and hits it with her legs and fangs.....:D

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think so....I have personal experience with only one, but that one is everything except being mellow...no threat posture, just immediate attack....every time......sometimes when she sees me and I make a sudden move, she runs to the plastic wall of the enclosure and hits it with her legs and fangs.....:D
That is odd. I've heard many variable accounts though. So the conclusion that I draw is that their aggression levels are purely individual to individual.
TBH

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmmm...:rolleyes: The only thing aggressive about these guys is how they respond to prey. NOTHING has the appetite that they do. You're probably just not feeding yours enough.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmmm...:rolleyes: The only thing aggressive about these guys is how they respond to prey. NOTHING has the appetite that they do. You're probably just not feeding yours enough.
She's fat as hell....{D ...I should stop feeding her so often...:) ....She's a bit (only a little bit) less defensive since I moved her to a bigger enclosure.....My friend has more then one geniculata and he also thinks, they are considerably more defensive than the most NW T's ( except Theraphosa or Phomictopus for example..)

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My friend has more then one geniculata and he also thinks, they are considerably more defensive than the most NW T's
Ahhhh...well, if you're using NWs as your point of reference I suppose you can claim to have a point. Personally, I've never encountered a NW species or individual that I'd consider to be the slightest bit defensive.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unbelieveable that nobody suggested this before! I know one PERFECT FIT for what the OP wants:
Lasiodora difficilis
aka Brazilian Fire Red Tarantula.
  • It can grow to 8"-9" Leg span (that is slightly larger than a A. geniculata but more leggy and less bulky).
  • It will rear up in a threat pose at the slightest disturbance.
  • It is on par with an A. geniculata or L. parahybana in term of visibility
  • It is terrestrial
  • It doesn't mind high humidity
  • It has a big appetite - there is a reason I named 2 of my L. difficilis "Living trash compactor" no. 1 and no.2! They can eat until they look gravid!

Of course, an A. geniculata is also suitable. However, in term of attitude, I definitely put the L. difficilis above the A. geniculata.