Upright Moult

jazaman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I came home from work this evening about 6:45pm to find my Nhandu Coloratovillosus looking rather strange and on closer inspection noticed the carapace stating to pop off......aarrgghhh...The first time I`ve ever witnessed any T not flipped ready to moult. Apprehensive was not the word....Oh no it`s going to die was my first thought. Humidity & hydration doesn`t seem to be a problem....

Now what appears to be the good news (for now). I watched it all the way and to my surprise this T (it`s not a baby, my second tarantula, had it for about 4 years approx 5" - 6" at least) fully moulted and was out at 8:20PM!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my experience that`s a bloody quick moult...my B.Smithi a week ago took 8hrs! I`m leaving it in peace just now, so will get better inspection later to make sure it`s ok.....

Any you guys got much experience with upright moults?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first molt experience was my rosie molting upright. She made it out really quick too and she was a good 6". I was worried because she crammed herself into the corner of her tank between her hide and the glass. After all was done, she was perfectly fine.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My first molt experience was my rosie molting upright. She made it out really quick too and she was a good 6". I was worried because she crammed herself into the corner of her tank between her hide and the glass. After all was done, she was perfectly fine.
I had the same experiance with my first t (rosie as well) was worried but molted in like 2 hours.seems my rosie molts in a different way each time last time she molted half way out of her hide and got stuck so i had to remove the hide from enclosier..BUt to my surprise all was well

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Any you guys got much experience with upright moults?
I haven't seen one, but they apparently happen pretty regularly. I just gotta say I really respect that you didn't try to interfere and flip the T over yourself or something dumb like that, which is how these threads usually go (and which can kill the spider). So props for handling it well, and good luck with the T! :)

jazaman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cheers....I just never experienced it before with any of my T`s. I suppose I just assumed the worst...a little moment of panic I guess...lol...I`m quite protective of my little dudettes...

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last summer my B. albiceps molted upright.
It was quite an interesting sight. I think I even posted pics here.

jazaman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes it did look like that......I`m still concerned because it hasn`t really moved since the the moult....it`s not even stretching...it`s been hiding behing some cork bark in a strange position since..you can see the odd movement in the legs but other than that..nothing...fingeres crossed..I`ve made sure not to disturb it..but I`m getting curious..

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everything looks pretty good from the pic. Ill keep my fingures crossed for you. Keep us updated.

mafiamike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of m 1.25" OBTs started molting upright yesterday.

I didn't let him finish that way though, one of my buddies here had a couple OBTs die trying to molt upright at this size. I flipped this one over and his molt was successful.

HerbertWest

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P Ornata molted 2 nights ago and originally i thought there was a problem because it molted while being at the very top of the enclosure and its body looked quite interesting..i have one of the large arborel cages from tarantulacages and it was just very bizarre to see it up at the top...also after it had come out the molting stuck perfectly to the side of the cage..thats prolly the weirdest molt ive had