New cages

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im redoing my snake cages and I was going to use my left over 20gal long terrarium for my crested gecko. The only concern I am having is the size of the crested. The crested is about 3 to 4 inches and I have had her for 7 months. Will this be too big right now?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well...what is the crested in now? A 20 is fairly big for even one adult crested, unless you plan on adding more...but, then I'd also have to say that an aquarium doesn't make a good crested enclosure, as they tend to escape out the top when you lift/slide the lid off. I would recommend the exo-terra cages that are 18 inch squares, or taller. They love height. It is more important to them than floor space, so a 20 long is also short. But, so long as you are sure the gecko will be able to adequatley find crickets, or food, it should be fine. I usually fed mine crested gecko diet, with occassional crickets for treats, so going large wasn't too bad for them. I usually kept three females and a male (as a temporary resident, he will and can breed your females to death, and males cannot be with other males, they will kill each other) or four females in one 18x18x24 (that's lenght x width x height).

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for the long thing going on there...

What I was going to say is that I recommend going taller and less floor space. It would do as a temporary cage, but it is not the best. With having just one, I think that would reduce risk of them escaping from the top, just keep an eye on him/her.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for the long thing going on there...

What I was going to say is that I recommend going taller and less floor space. It would do as a temporary cage, but it is not the best. With having just one, I think that would reduce risk of them escaping from the top, just keep an eye on him/her.
No I was going to keep it upright. I was going to make the cage into aboral. Right now she is in a 10 gallon upright. I found a way to make the lids secure to where not even a centipede could escape.