hissers as T. feed

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I never tried "feeding" them to my T's. My wife kept a colony for a long time. And while they are very heavy bodied and would definately be a good meal, the fact that they can climb glass turns me off. That, and the price tag if you dont have a colony of your own. Depending on where you live, they can cost anywhere from $1-$5 a piece.

That, and for some reason I see hissers more as pets, and less as feeders now...

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never tried "feeding" them to my T's. My wife kept a colony for a long time. And while they are very heavy bodied and would definately be a good meal, the fact that they can climb glass turns me off. That, and the price tag if you dont have a colony of your own. Depending on where you live, they can cost anywhere from $1-$5 a piece.

That, and for some reason I see hissers more as pets, and less as feeders now...

Why?...Why?...Why? Like you mean your keeping cockroaches as pets?

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are many beautiful roach species that make great pets! Here's a pic of one of my Tiger Hissers. I love these guys! Adults can live up to 4 years, and they hiss like crazy when you first pic them up.....

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think hissing roach is too hard. I prefer dubia/regalis which are softer for my T's.

I personally will not keep roaches as pets but I understand why some people do.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well to each his own right....I cant even feed my T.s roahes because im afraid of them and if they get out I would freak..Like curled up in a ball in the corner crying scared.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed my younger tarantulas and scorpions hisser nymphs. as for a full grown adult, it would be good feeding for breeding and egg sack production.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't feed hissers at all. Pets all the way. ;)

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought I saw a video of Robc feeding zilla one.The reason I ask is that I have LP's,Klugi's and T.apophysis. Just thought a colony of them may benefit me and my T's.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you'd get more bang for your buck out of a Discoid colony. Males and females both get big, and they multiply and grow faster than Hissers...

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I once feared roaches but if I were in the T hobby, this is something I think is inevitable. After a few days I got used to looking and then picking up roaches from my Dubia colony. Now I have Dubia and Lateralis roaches as feeds. Haven't tried hissers due to their cost

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I purchased a couple of small hissers to see if my female G. rosea would take them. She gave them a wild threat display but never took the bait. I suppose I would feel the same way if a six legged tank approached me. I've been keeping them for a few months now and they have reached an impressive size. I rarely see them as they hide during the day, but their food disappears very quickly. These insects make fascinating pets and I'm glad mine didn't end up as tarantula food. I would imagine the roach nymphs might make a more suitable meal for many T's. Has anyone with a hisser colony found this to be the case?

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah. They kind of grow on you. We originally started a colony for a Tegu, since they are garbage dumps, but we got attached after the first one crawled on us. Not to mention, I wouldn't be able to stomach the sound of one hissing while it got chomped... :(

And they are pretty hard bodied. Dubia's are softer ;)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If one has a very large colony of hissers, then it is a good alternative source of food for T's.
We generally feed off only newly molted hissers, while still white - as they are indeed too hard IMO, once they've dried out from molting. :)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have a very large colony of hissers, and the 1-4th instars are fine for feeding.

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed mine Hissers once in a while i buy them from flukerfarms and i really got them as pets but a few got loose so i said forget it and i fed them all to my T's

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to big can cause damage in my opinion and they kinda creep me out... i meen what the hell i got a tarantula that most people go ewwwww.......

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to big can cause damage in my opinion and they kinda creep me out... i meen what the hell i got a tarantula that most people go ewwwww.......
No it won't cause Damage they are just seen as pets more than feeders and they are a little hard but most T's can crush them

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have colonies of hissers. I've only fed one: a little one that managed to escape because I was mad at him. The adults are too cool to feed. They are pets.

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have colonies of hissers. I've only fed one: a little one that managed to escape because I was mad at him. The adults are too cool to feed. They are pets.
LOL you were mad so he became food {D