Spider webs

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want a spider that makes huge webs. I am getting a couple L. Parahybanas, but would also like one that does what spiders do, makes tons and tons of webs. What would be a good choice?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well i think your best bet would be a sp. of avic, c. cyaneopubescens or maybe a p. murinus. you should be happy with some sort of avic though, they are usually very heavy webbers.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other cool webbers include E.murinus, E.cyanognathus, E.uatumon (cool trumpet webs); H.incei, also C.fimbriatus makes the most lovely cathedrals. :)

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i really think i would like a p. murinus, if everyone didn't say they were so MEAN. I don't mind a spider in the house, even several. But I don't think i can bear the thought of one trying to digest my hand every time I open the lid. I do like the c. cyaneopubescens, and didn't realize they webbed much. What types of Avics are good?

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I couldn't find any pics for a E.uatumon. But the C.fimbriatus Is AMAZING!! That is exactly what I'm looking for i think.

Emilyloulou

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any chilobrachy species web like mad, i have 5 chilobrachys of various species and they are all as good as each other with their mental webbing :)

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well there are plenty of pics of e. uatuman all over on these boards, im sure you can find some. I would say minatrix, purpurea, versicolor and my metallica web the most. GBB's dont seem to have much structure to thier webs, they just web everywhere.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I found plenty of pix of the e. uatuman. I just mispelled it. hard to find pics of something if you don't spell it right:}

Do the chilobrachys burrow? I ask b/c I've read that's all they want to do, but now i find tons of pics with awesome webs.

Emilyloulou

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they sort of burrow, one of mine is in a little jar with 2" substrate at the bottom, and even though its burrowed to the bottom, its also filled the whole jar up with webbing.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
where can i find a chilobrachy caresheet? also, are they very difficult to keep up? and do you have any pics on here emilyloulou?

Emilyloulou

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dont know where you can get a care sheet, but i keep mine quite basicly and they are fine.

slings i have in taller pots as they web quite high, just stuck an inch or so soil in the bottom and they sort it how they like it. I also gave them some fake leaves to anchor webbing to:

Bigger slings and juvis i have in jar type things, again with a bit of soil in the bottom and some leaves:

And my biggest one i put in a wider tank with soil and plenty of anchor points and again it has webbed like crazy:

I hope that helps :)

Emily

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
where can i find a chilobrachy caresheet? also, are they very difficult to keep up? and do you have any pics on here emilyloulou?
If you are not willing to keep an obt then this species is also not for you.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That last enclosure looks AWESOME. I guess the tradeoff to cool webs is that you never see it:} What kind was the last.

Emilyloulou

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was told it was a chilobrachy burmensis, but i've been told recently that that name isnt used anymore and its a Chilobrachys dyscolus i think?

They may not be right though.

But like Talkenlate04 said, they aren't for the feint hearted, quick little buggers and apparantly quite defensive and bitey too, however the only time i have ever been given a nasty threat pose by a T for no reason was from my rosie, the chilobrachys have never been a problem with me, although i never handle them, they are too fast!

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
RATS! Why do the ones I'm really interested in have to bite? Is an OBT less bitey than the chilobrachy?

And it's not so much that I'm not willing to keep an OBT, it's just that I really need to get used to T's in general before i take on one that might want to kill me:) That's why I'm starting with LP's. I heard they aren't very aggressive.

Emilyloulou

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my ones havent given me so much as a threat pose, let alone tried to bite, however my OBT's are alot quicker to try and kill you.

I think it depends alot on the actual spider, not the species.

Struckanerve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my p.irminia has always been a big webber. i have had it since it was about .75" now it is close to 3.

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO nothing webs as much or and nicely as an h.incei. my female has a massive web nest, with multiple chambers and entrances, its pretty epic looking :clap:

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is my GBB. She is a heavy webber (once they settle in and that could take a month). She has a hide but she never uses it. She sits on top of that web all day unless I spook her. The she runs into her little tunnel like you see her in the pic.

The OBT has the thickest web but they only make one big enough to cacoon themselves.
I have an C. Fimbriatus (Indian Violet that webs a lot but mostly around it's tunnels (it's a burrower) and on top of the substrate. It's really cool though.

I'd say GBB are the best webbers since it's all over, they are very viewable, and they can be handled.