Enclosure size...

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was wondering if my 3 foot corn snkae can live comfortable in a tank that is 27" wide and 25" tall. Its an octagon tank. I ask because I will be going to an expo and I was going to buy a bigger enclosure, but I dont wnt to spend a hundred and some dollars if its not necessary.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It doesn't really matter how tall the tank is, since the height is a lot of space a ground-dwelling colubrid can't use. I would say that tank is too small since the snake can't stretch out fully.

A long, low tank will be much better, and you can put some sort of arboreal animal in the tall one. Frogs maybe, I dunno. Frogs are cool. :D

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
J, I don't know if you went in this direction, but you might want to try Rubbermaid sweater containers. They are cheap, large enough for your snake, and easy to clean, especially if you use newspaper for substrate. But, you may be the kind of person that likes display animals, so my suggestion probably won't help. Anyways, cool snake. And while you are at the convention, don't buy anymore, or you will have to house them too {D

David

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd go with something that is 3 feet wide and 18 inches deep. Like a 40 or 30 gallon breeder tank. This will provide a comfortable home for an adult cornsnake. Height is really not important, as mentioned before, but the 40's slightly taller size compared to the 30 makes it look much better, and displays the snake better in my opinion. Otherwise, you could always upgrade to something like a vision cage...

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so floor space is more imporatant than height. So the length has to be as long as the snakes body length.

DrJ- I think I may just go with your idea an get a 30 gallon. Could a 30 gallon house the snake untill its death?

It doesn't really matter how tall the tank is, since the height is a lot of space a ground-dwelling colubrid can't use. I would say that tank is too small since the snake can't stretch out fully.

A long, low tank will be much better, and you can put some sort of arboreal animal in the tall one. Frogs maybe, I dunno. Frogs are cool. :D
Mushroom Spore: I ws either going to use the pictured tank as a feeding tank or an enclosure for my P.pederseni when shes full grown:}

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, a 30 gallon would work so long as it is the breeder size (36"X18"). It is exactly the same as a 40, but shorter.

The length of the tank does not necessarily have to be the lenght of the snake. If you did that, you'd be looking at a 75+ gallon tank for an adult corn. Which, of course, would be nice...it's just not necessary. Think of it as more of a luxury.

The floor space of a tank should reflect the length of the snake. So, a 30 or 40 breeder is adequate for a 3.5 foot snake. A cage that is 4'X2' is good for an 8 foot snake...see? But, since a cornsnake is so slender, a 30 or 40 would be fine, even when the cornsnake gets to be 4-5 feet in length.