Tarantula Keeper's Guide

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am just trying to confirm something. I was on Amazon looking at tarantula books and came across the revised edition of this awesome book by Stanley Schultz. According to Amazon the original edition has 208 pages and the new one, scheduled to be released this past January, is 400 pages. It is available for pre-order. Does anyone know when the actual release date is or if the 400 page count is accurate? If it is, that is some update!

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's supposed to be Feb. 23rd. I'm waiting to get it.:D I checked in January and was told they didn't have it yet. I checked again a few weeks ago and they told me the release date was the 23rd of Feb. Hopefully the info I was given was correct.

bmsonline

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure if the US release date is different from the UK release date, but it has been out since the 1st February in the UK. It is a very good book and worth every penny even for the seasoned keepers. :)

Alex

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is on pre-order with Amazon as well. I'll post as soon as I get the shipping confirmation if no-one beats me to it.

I'm anxiously awaiting my copy too. One thing that drives me crazy about this hobby is the lack of reading material....

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I bought the original before I new the new one was coming out. Now I'll have two :) I'm excited to see what the extra 192 pages contain :):):)

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey bmsonline - can you confirm that it does in fact have 400 pages?

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The latest version 2nd addition I have is 287 pages total, bought from Amazon, not sure about the new addition thats being released. The 2nd addition is a library of information the 3rd must really be something.

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantula Keepers Guide

I, like many, own the original version that was released in 1998....I own 7 tarantula books, and I believe it's by far the best I own....I will surely get the new one as well....

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just ordered it. Unfortunately I don't have the 1st or 2nd Editions, but I do own copies of:

"Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Samuel D. Marshall
and
"Tarantulas and Scorpions In Captivity" by Russ Gurley

I'd highly recommend the first, a great read, but can't wait to get my hands on this new one! Should be here by Wednesday.

And yes, check it: Amazon.com (USA) and Amazon.co.uk - Apparently it is already out over here. If you really can't wait, can Americans order from the UK site?? I doubt it, but might be worth looking into if you really can't wait. =P

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
According to the publisher, which is where I placed my order, the US release will be 23 February.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
According to the publisher, which is where I placed my order, the US release will be 23 February.
I wonder why there's such a timescale between the UK release (1st February) and the American? Surely there can't be that much to change considering we speak pretty much the same language...?

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wonder why there's such a timescale between the UK release (1st February) and the American? Surely there can't be that much to change considering we speak pretty much the same language...?
Different printing locations, different printing schedules for respective printing houses, different warehouse storage and distribution issues, different trucking issues, etc.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Mine has been on pre order for a while now.

and yes as someone stated the Authors post here every now and then

IMO a very welcome occurrence.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As of the point that I pre-ordered last night Amazon ever so helpfully informed me that it would be sure let me know when it was to be released.

My 2nd ed copy has gone completely MIA so it can't be soon enough.

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That would be great if the authors could get back to us on this. I hope the mentioned date of the 23rd is accurate!

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That would be great if the authors could get back to us on this. I hope the mentioned date of the 23rd is accurate!
I didn't hallucinate about the email I received from the publisher regarding the 23 Feb release date. Don't fret; be patient.

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I checked at Barnes & Noble the other day & they also mentioned Feb 23 as the release date. I believe this new book was discussed on a previous thread, and the authors did respond saying that in the new edition there is a lot of new information, much more than you would expect from a subsequent edition of any book. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am just trying to confirm something. I was on Amazon looking at tarantula books and came across the revised edition of this awesome book by Stanley Schultz. According to Amazon ...or if the 400 page count is accurate? If it is, that is some update!
The third edition (G3) is scheduled to be released in the USA on February 23. Amazon.com will probably receive their shipment a few days later. They'll almost surely start shipping within a week after that.

G3 is a direct descendant of the second (no surprise there) and contains a lot of the old information you've already seen, but we had to drop about 1/3 of G2 to make room for new material in G3. Even then, if memory serves me, G3 contains 386 pages including a 4 page index, about 100 pages larger.

The surprising thing is that G3 carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price that's the same as G2! I would have expected a price increase of $2 or $3 because of inflation and the larger size. So, depending on your point of view, it's a real bargain.

I would strongly urge you to NOT throw away your copies of G2. Much of its material was not carried over to G3 so it can still serve as an important reference.

Lastly, as soon as I finish working on our 2008 tax returns I intend to post a series of webpages for G3 the same as we did for G2. As an example, visit http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/aftermarket.html to see what we did for the second edition.

I am amazed! From the feedback that we've received so far it seems that the tarantula keeping community is just as excited about the third edition as we are. I'm hoping we can live up to your expectations.

On the other side of the coin, I expect that a lot of people will dissect it and (constructively we hope) critique it. Any of those remarks that seem to be justifiable (rather than simple bashing or nit-picking) will be addressed on the aftermarket page as well.

We sincerely hope you all enjoy the new edition, and thanks for your support! {D

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always love to find new reading material for my hobbys! I have the book but i'm not sure what edition it is. I got it just before I got my first spider about 6-7 years ago. How can I tell what the edition is? If I have edition 1 I might have to pick up edition 2 as well, so I can get a hold of ALL of the information! hehe ;P (insert evil laugh here)