Pamphobeteus antinous

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone have any experience or information about Pamphobeteus antinous? I've got no experience with Pamphobeteus species, what are they like to care for, do they have any special requirements and how big do they get? Any pictures would be appreciated :) Thank you.

Cheers,

Dan.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are fast and nervous and fairly large (8"+). They can be sensitive to drying out, so watch your humidity levels. I keep mine on a barely moistened mix of peat and vermiculite with a large water dish and a shelter.

Also see this thread: click me

John

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's funny, I know Pamphos are supposed to like it moist but my nigricolor doesn't seem to read the books. I do *try* to keep the substrate slightly moist but since I keep everyone else bone dry I usually forget for stretches. So you might think he'd consider the water bowl of primary importance, not exactly. The freak considers the water bowl nothing more than a flush toilet. I don't think he even defecates anywhwere else. I change the water bowl, he takes a massive spider dump in it by the next morning (and I do mean massive - I've never seen spider crap like this guy lets loose). Never seen him drink (wonder why :)) and doens't seem affected by the on and off dry/slightly moist substrate in the least.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Code,

That doesn't surprise me. I have a few nigricolors and they just seem to be a more robust species than P. antinous, IMO. They are much more aggressive feeders and are nowhere near as shy as just about all of my antinous. Not to say that an antinous will keel over the minute it gets dry in it's enclosure, but they do seem to fare better at slightly higher humidity levels.

John

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My antinous' tank is fairly moist at the moment, but that is mostly due to the fact that I got it too wet awhile back and it refuses to dry out. I have kept that spider in a bone dry tank for lengthy periods without a problem. I have also noticed that she likes to crap in the water dish. Not sure what the deal is there.

Adrian