T venom

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
is it impossible to be alergic to a t bite as stated on a previous thread, it seems out there.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is it impossible to be alergic to a t bite as stated on a previous thread, it seems out there.

Absolutely not.
This keeps coming up and it is not true in the slightest. I challenge anyone to cite one documented case in which a T bite caused an allergic reaction.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
search my friend!! i found like, 10 threads the other day with this topic.

but, in short, it is thought that the venom consists of peptides, and not a full protein strand, and that the peptides are too small to cause an allergic reaction. i will ask my immunology teacher on monday and see what the doc says or thinks about this.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A human can be allergic to everything...For the development of the allergy, you need to be in contact with the substance repeatedly... T venom and also bee venom contain large amount of substances. We can't rule out the possibility that there is a substance, what is present in both. So in theory, if you develop an allergy against that particular substance ( after a bee sting ), you can have problems after the first T bite.......but this is in my opinion highly improbable

PS. Sometimes after a bee sting a person has "allergy like" symtoms whitout having a true allergy (anaphylactoid response)....it's not an allergy, because the symptoms aren't triggered by antibodies...some substances in the venom trigger the release of the mediators causing the symptoms. I think, it's possible, that this mechanism can occure also after a T bite...but in the case of this reaction, the symptoms are often banal...

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
search my friend!! i found like, 10 threads the other day with this topic.

but, in short, it is thought that the venom consists of peptides, and not a full protein strand, and that the peptides are too small to cause an allergic reaction. i will ask my immunology teacher on monday and see what the doc says or thinks about this.
They might be small, but in some cases, small molecules can "bind" on something (for example on the surface of a red blood cell) and after that they can cause allergic reaction.....this is the case with penicillin for example...

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A human can be allergic to everything...For the development of the allergy, you need to be in contact with the substance repeatedly...
Not true at all. Some people are born with allergies. People with nut allergies are born with them, not developped, some people have the same with Ts.

It IS possible to have a reaction to T venom, much in the same way bee/wasp stings are of little consequence to me, but an old friend of mine had to carry a pen, much like diabetics carried, as bee/wasp stings could cause some very serious problems.

To those who doubt this, do some research. There is much evidence to suggest that some people ARE much more sensitive to T venom than other people are. Claiming that there is no possibility of adverse reactions is both short-sighted and dangerous. If someone known to have a sensitivity to venom is bitten, under your guidance they could neglect to seek medical attention, causing serious medical issues for the person, as they think "It'll be fine" though they know that other venoms cause serious issues.

If you are allergic to venoms, take an extra amount of caution when dealing with your Ts. If you are sensitive and are bitten by any species, seek medical attention as soon as symptoms arise (not before as it may have been a dry bite). If you are not sensitive to bee/wasp stings or whatever, still watch out for additional symptoms after a T bite. It may be the case that the T has venom that you ARE allergic to.

You can never be certain until you are bitten and injected with venom, so, until then it's likely better safe than sorry, I'd say.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"What causes nut allergy?

If you are allergic to nuts, when you first come into contact with nuts your immune system reacts and prepares to fight. However, you don't get any symptoms of a reaction. It is only when you come into contact with nuts for a second time that a full allergic reaction happens. Most children who are allergic to nuts have the symptoms of an allergic reaction when they appear to be exposed to nuts for the first time. However, this is probably not their first exposure, but their second. They may already have come into contact with nuts through their mother - either whilst they were in the womb or through breast milk if they were breastfed."

The repeated administration is a must....at least, immunologists think so....;)

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They may already have come into contact with nuts through their mother - either whilst they were in the womb
Thus, born with the allergy.

Either way, your first post insinuated you'd need to be bitten a multitude of times to be allergic. It's highly likely, to use the information above, that you've already come into contact with some of the constituents of T venom in your life. Thus, you may have already developed an allergy.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
verry interesting thanks for all the replies. My girlfriend is alergic to bees and so she stays clear of my Ts, now i can argue with her about how they are not AS danngerous to her as a bee.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I heard smthin that a study has been made and kids that go out and play in the "dirt" and stuff like that, tend to not be allergic as kids that are like always "clean".

//Tiago

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thus, born with the allergy.
Hmm.....in your post you stated "Not true at all. Some people are born with allergies. People with nut allergies are born with them, not developped, some people have the same with Ts."......in this case, the allergy WAS developed after the first administration in the womb...I don't think it's probable that a child in the womb has contact with T venom....with bee venom? That's more probable.....but the chance of being in contact with bee venom in the womb and develop an allergy on T venom is highly improbable...it probably can happen, but IMO the chance is hmm.....1: 10 000 000

Either way, your first post insinuated you'd need to be bitten a multitude of times to be allergic. It's highly likely, to use the information above, that you've already come into contact with some of the constituents of T venom in your life. Thus, you may have already developed an allergy.
In my first post I also stated, that in some cases it might happen, that a first bite causes allergic reaction....

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, we're agreed it's possible and thus worth avoiding risks :p Thus, what are we arguing about? :)

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In sum, I think we can say, that in theory, it's probably possible to be allergic to T venom. If the peptides are too small to act as an allergen, they can bind on other proteins and than act as a hapten and cause antibody production (just like penicillin). The more allergies a person has, the bigger the chance of the development of an allergy on T venom is. We have to be cautious, but I think, the chance of a life threatening reaction after a T bite is rather small (if I'm correct, it hasn't been documented yet...).

To PhObia- we were arguing because you challenged my statement about the need of the repeated exposure with the nut example..:} ....but we solved the problem, so everything is OK;)

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, not arguing here but I never said the allergy would be life-threatening.

I repeat, as to date, there have been zero recorded cases of deaths directly resulted from tarantula bites. For someone very sensitive to the venom however, a G.rosea would be more than a slight stinging sensation for a few hours ^_^

Also, I agree. As with many things in regards to tarantulas, it's all theoretical. There just isn't enough research being done into these creatures at the moment. Personally, I feel that is the job of most enthusiasts, we are the experimenters, the ones who record and document our Ts. Hence I'm on 3 of these forums absorbing and passing on information :D

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
....in this case, the allergy WAS developed after the first administration in the womb...I don't think it's probable that a child in the womb has contact with T venom....with bee venom? That's more probable.....but the chance of being in contact with bee venom in the womb and develop an allergy on T venom is highly improbable...it probably can happen, but IMO the chance is hmm.....1: 10 000 000
Well, that surely depends upon where the mother lives. I could think of some regions in the world where it is more likely to be bitten by a T than to receive a bee sting.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And who's to say that the sting and bite do not contain similar chemicals, which one may get an allergy to anyway?

This is why I wish there were more T studies going on. =(

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, that surely depends upon where the mother lives. I could think of some regions in the world where it is more likely to be bitten by a T than to receive a bee sting.
I would be surprised if there were any such place. Bees are pretty well distributed, get around a lot more, are incredibly more numerous, and come in contact with humans more. But that's almost off topic.

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not true at all. Some people are born with allergies. People with nut allergies are born with them, not developped, some people have the same with Ts.

It IS possible to have a reaction to T venom, much in the same way bee/wasp stings are of little consequence to me, but an old friend of mine had to carry a pen, much like diabetics carried, as bee/wasp stings could cause some very serious problems.

To those who doubt this, do some research. There is much evidence to suggest that some people ARE much more sensitive to T venom than other people are. Claiming that there is no possibility of adverse reactions is both short-sighted and dangerous. If someone known to have a sensitivity to venom is bitten, under your guidance they could neglect to seek medical attention, causing serious medical issues for the person, as they think "It'll be fine" though they know that other venoms cause serious issues.

If you are allergic to venoms, take an extra amount of caution when dealing with your Ts. If you are sensitive and are bitten by any species, seek medical attention as soon as symptoms arise (not before as it may have been a dry bite). If you are not sensitive to bee/wasp stings or whatever, still watch out for additional symptoms after a T bite. It may be the case that the T has venom that you ARE allergic to.

You can never be certain until you are bitten and injected with venom, so, until then it's likely better safe than sorry, I'd say.
i got nut allergies and i got them when i was 1 i developed them as soon as my immune system ran on its own (i got breast fed) so yea right there you can develop allergies.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't care what people say and what studies have been done. We all have allergies of some sort to something. To say that someone can NOT be allergic to T venom is risky business. I say to everyone to just consider it a possiblility and always be prepared. I lead a lot of hiking and backpacking trips sponsored by the college. I always have to keep full supplies of Benadryl and Eppy pens for just in case scenarios. People will develop allergies and not even know what from. So just be prepared and you don't have to worry about anything.