Russian tortoise food

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had a Russian tortoise for a couple of weeks and feed him tortoise pellets from the LPS & salad spring mix. Does anyone have a good list of food that they can eat? Its beginning to warm up outside & wanted to pick some fresh greens for him. I know they can eat dandelions & there greens but what else can I find in the yard (pesticide free) that would be good for him. He doesnt care too much for the pellets & there is so much contradictory info out there its hard to sift through the not so good information. So what do you feed your tortoise that can be found outside?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't take this the wrong way, but while YOUR yard may be pesticide-free, what about your neighbors? What about a farm or large garden several houses or half a mile away, whose pesticides have been washed all over the place by rainwater and other natural forces? Pollutants are unfortunately very insidious once they've gotten into the ecosystem, and they get everywhere. :eek:

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't take this the wrong way, but while YOUR yard may be pesticide-free, what about your neighbors? What about a farm or large garden several houses or half a mile away, whose pesticides have been washed all over the place by rainwater and other natural forces? Pollutants are unfortunately very insidious once they've gotten into the ecosystem, and they get everywhere. :eek:
I see what your saying but then that pretty much means that pesticide free plants/greens do not exist anywhere unless grown in a green house. I was planning on washing the greens/plants like we would our own food. And I saw that feeding them the pellets alone isnt the best. I'll see what others sugest or do you have any recommendations other than going to an organic store (which there produce is more than likely grown outside also)?

Dark abyss0, thanks for the link really helps out.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Collards, mustard greens, turnip tops, kale are good leafy greens
Sweet potato and shredded carrots (they like the carrots kinda mushy like when grated) are good non green They are attracted to red and yellow so strawberries, bananas and other yellow and red fruits are great for them. Also, you can get dandelion stems from a grocery store. Avoid lettuce as it is nutritionally void and mostly water. If you want to feed them home-grown stuff, grow a garden yourself to make certain that no pesticides will be on it.