Slings as First Tarantula

vio220

Arachnopeon
Is a spiderling a good idea as a first tarantula? More than likely it won't be a sling, but asking just in case.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Slings make great first T's because you can learn as they grow. Just remember, some species grow much faster than others.

vio220

Arachnopeon
Avic Avic is at the top of my list. Or versicolor, I guess. I've heard that avic avics are a little easier to take care of, and a little more docile.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 11. And, all are slings. The biggest one I have is 1.25". And, the littlest is about .5".

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Either would make a great first T. I have both and haven't noticed any difference in behavior really. Keep them moist, but not wet, with plenty of ventilation.

vio220

Arachnopeon
parents are my biggest problem lol
WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT THING IN YOUR ROOM :wall: {D

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularias are the BEST

I am the biggest Avicularia fan. I have 8 right now and will have an additional 6 or so by the first week of March. They like humidity (80% or so) and that is VERY important with these little guys. People say they aren't very hearty and quite frankly I would have said the same thing a year or so ago BUT it's just making sure they have the humidity they need so they don't have trouble molting. They are fantastic fun tarantulas and BEAUTIFUL no matter which one you get. The Avicularia versicolor is beautiful as sling and totally change when they get to juvi and adults BUT are just a beautiful. You could pretty much pick any Avicularia and be really happy with it.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a huge fan of the sort of larger sling size, say between one and two inches.

They're a little easier to feed, can go in enclosures bigger then pill vials, but still typically have sling or juvenile coloration (so you get to see them change over time), and are still in the higher frequency (for the species) shedding stage.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi have to agree

I'm a huge fan of the sort of larger sling size, say between one and two inches.

They're a little easier to feed, can go in enclosures bigger then pill vials, but still typically have sling or juvenile coloration (so you get to see them change over time), and are still in the higher frequency (for the species) shedding stage.

I just got 3 of the Cyriocosmus species and they are only 1/8" and it makes me CRAZY. I have NO idea if they're eating. They're abdomen's are nice and full so I HOPE SO.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am the biggest Avicularia fan. I have 8 right now and will have an additional 6 or so by the first week of March.
No, I am the biggest avic fan!!!
I just got 3 1.5" ers, an adult female, and got 3 more coming next week(all versicolors)!
And then when James comes up,Im getting a few others like 3x amazonica, and 3x aviculara, and 3x perupurple(not sure the sci name).
I aint gonna stop there neither, I want MORE!!!!!!!!
;P

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Well said!

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, I am the biggest avic fan!!!
I just got 3 1.5" ers, an adult female, and got 3 more coming next week(all versicolors)!
And then when James comes up,Im getting a few others like 3x amazonica, and 3x aviculara, and 3x perupurple(not sure the sci name).
I aint gonna stop there neither, I want MORE!!!!!!!!
;P

LOL OK it's Avicularia sp peru purple..lol Do you have an Avicularia fasciculata yet?? And I so understand loving them. I want another amazonica as well. I'm getting a metallica next week with an avicularia then a A. amapa and another fasciculata as well. My son wants a versi as well so I have to get a couple more of those soon.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got 3 of the Cyriocosmus species and they are only 1/8" and it makes me CRAZY. I have NO idea if they're eating. They're abdomen's are nice and full so I HOPE SO.
Oh man I wouldn't even know what to do with something that small!

My smallest guys so far have been 1/2 inch and even at that size I hate opening their enclosures, I'm always afraid they're going to bolt and I'm going to hurt them trying to keep them in (at that size I have no hope of catching them if they do get out).

I suppose it only makes sense, a one inch Cyriocosmus is probably practically ready to make little cyriocosmuses themselves!

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What made matters worse, the day I got mine, I was switching them into their new enclosures and I was surprised to find that my C leetzi venezuelan PLAYS DEAD. YEAH, it wasn't bad enough they were small then I thought I killed her. Once I figured it out I had to show my kids. It was hysterical once I realized she was a drama queen

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL OK it's Avicularia sp peru purple..lol Do you have an Avicularia fasciculata yet?? And I so understand loving them. I want another amazonica as well. I'm getting a metallica next week with an avicularia then a A. amapa and another fasciculata as well. My son wants a versi as well so I have to get a couple more of those soon.
James showed me some pics of the fasciculata, and they are pretty cool too!
I like all the avics soo far . . .

I MIGHT get some of those, but we will have to see . . . this hobby is addictive and can get expensive trying to put together a decent collection.

The versis and amazonicas are my faves hands down.

I dont wanna hijack the post tho, I got versicolor threads of my own!:D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For a first T I would recommend getting at least a subadult. As has been pointed out slings are harder to feed (you have to get them really small stuff) and they tend to hide and burrow a lot more. They are not real impressive to look at and it potentially takes a long time for them to become impressive. Further, they are more likely to die.

And if a sling escapes it's a real pain finding/catching them.

It's rewarding to raise a tarantula from a sling, but in my opinion that's not the best way to get started in the hobby.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For a first T I would recommend getting at least a subadult. As has been pointed out slings are harder to feed (you have to get them really small stuff) and they tend to hide and burrow a lot more. They are not real impressive to look at and it potentially takes a long time for them to become impressive. Further, they are more likely to die.

It's rewarding to raise a tarantula from a sling, but in my opinion that's not the best way to get started in the hobby.
What he said^^

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I so agree with this especially if you are planning on getting an avic. just because of all the sudden avic sling deaths. I would get used to a juvie/sub adult and then get a sling.

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Slings are great. Just great. You get to see the whole color, webbing and attitude changes through the successive molts. I grew an A. versicolor (let me take this particular one for example...) , and seriously, you would have offered me a 4.5" female for the same price as the 0.5" sling I have bought, I would have took the sling.

Also, arboreal slings tend to be bigger than terrestrials, though there are many exceptions, like T. blondi. It isn't hard at all to find something a little Avicularia will eat, I gave mine almost adult crickets about her size and bigger, and she always overpowered them in her web without any problem.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A sling is a good choice since they are cheap and farily easy to find. Liek said, small ones like under 0.5inch will requre a buit more work since they will need things like pinheads. For me its fine since i go to lps at least biweekly. Somehtign liek a smithi or somethign from the same genus would be cool, but a smithi sling will take a while to grow and may be abit boring if that your only spider. I know around me you can get rose hairs that are about 4" for 30$. They are common, however it would give you experience and they like it dry so you dont really need to worry about humidity. I started with a versicolor. It is a cool sling to have and ive never had any problems with it, and is fairily docile, but is a bit more darty and quick then terrestrial species. It has also never shot poop at me while my avic avic has multiple times. Avics do require more ventilation and higher humidity (ironic combination) so they are abit harder to keep then rosies, but i havnt had any problems with them. I would deffinitly get a versi over a avic based on colour as well as it probably being less common