humidity question

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
since centipede housing has to be kept pretty humid, do u guys mist and if so how often? or is just a water dish enough? thnx

pediepablo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my small critter keepers, I only mist rarely, if at all. Just a water dish seems to do fine. In my larger containers, I mist about twice a week, otherwise the substrate dries out. I have heard people say that twice a week is too much, but I have also heard that cages can be misted twice daily. I think that it just depends on the species and the type of substrate.

Woody

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to mist mine daily, and it worked out fine. No flies or mites or anything like that, but it all depends. it was well ventilated so that is probably why i didnt get flies and such. now i just have a water bowl in there and plexiglass over the screen and misting is not necessary. I just have to make sure to find as much of the droppings and food remainders and pick them out.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't bother misting at all, i see it as fairly uneccessary and far to much work. It's quite possible to maintain a high humidity by using a large enough water bowl, and by covering up ventilation holes in the enclosure (whilst leaving enough to prevent mold from buiding up). I used to mist daily, but i figured that it only has a very temporary affect on the humidity, so a water bowl does a much better job of maintaing a constant humidity.

Cheers,

Dan.

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok thnx guys, i was just wondering because i got my first centipede today