Who Keeps Cyriopagopus thorelli?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What are your experiences like with this species? They are supposed to be quite closely related to Haplopelmas, but are reportedly "semi-arborial". As such, they should be pretty "defensive" right? Do they burrow? Any comparisons to other spiders, terrestrial or arborial would be nice.

Thanks,

Jon

p.s. I can't seem to find any bite reports on this species.

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do, a 2" juvenile.
Bear in mind it's probably more accurate to call these C schioedtei - check Rick West's site and you will see the pictures have been renamed...

As for habitat, these are reputedly an opportunistic burrower, but in the wild you'll generally find them up trees. I'd say they were semi-arboreal in the same way P murinus Usambara is. Check the pads on each foot - enlarged like an arboreal tarantula, not a terrestrial one.

Mine has made a sort of tunnel based around a piece of cork bark.

Temperament I find to be quite defensive, they will readily threat but aren't as "sulky" as Haplopelmas tend to be. Be warned, they run very fast and have no trouble scaling the sides of the tank.

Taken about 5 minutes ago:

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got my juvie C. schioedtei about 2 months ago - 2 to 2.5 inches (haven't measured accurately yet).

I can pretty much agree with everything Lopez has mentioned though I'd like to point out that mine does a heck of a lot more burrowing than anything else - for the first month and a half I never saw it. Since it's molted and gained a little more size I've upgraded it's enclosure to a simple 5 gallon hex tank filled half way with substrate and provided plenty of cork bark for climbing surfaces.

Calling these guys quick is quite an understatment as I have NO DOUBT that this little bugger could run laps around my fully grown Avicularia avicularia. During the tank transfer it escaped like a lightening bolt up my arm and onto the shelving unit - within seconds I was in the process of dismantling a portion of my unit in effort to retrieve the little guy only I found him not an hour later on a completely different side of the room.

On a personal note, the C. thorelli/schioedtei is among my top 5 species out there - I just love the coloration!

As far as the naming goes, I fully acknowledge the technical name change as this sort of thing comes down from those who are more qualified to make such assertions, HOWEVER: I think the term "thorelli" has a better *ring* to it and it's ultimately more familiar in the hobby than the newer classification. Plus... how do you pronounce "schioedtei" anyway?

LCDXX

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a few of these in the 2" to 2.5" range and my experiences are the same as Lopez'. Although I've not noticed any semi-arboreal tendencies, mine are not set up to exhibit any such tendency. Mine behave in much the same manner as Haplopelma and have all constructed deep and intricate burrows.

Lopez is corret that they are very fast. When I first got mine as little 1/2" slings, I had one on my back from the moment I opened the vial. They haven't slowed down with size any either.

If you like Haplopelma, you'll like these. I have yet to have any experience breeding them, but I know LaRiz has. If that is something in which you have an interest, you might want to contact him.

Botar

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I wasn't happy with my H. sp. "aureopilosum", as I never ever saw it. I loved their coloration/pattern and thought that maybe with this this one I might get something that would be a bit more visable. But honestly, I still don't think that I am looking for a bitey speed demon.

Thanks for the info.

Jon

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 3 of them and everything that the others said is true. They are bitey speed demons that make deep tunnels, but I do see mine quite often and they are truely a sharp looking T. They also tend to throw tantrums when you are moving them into a different cage:D

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i've got a 7.5"+ female in a 10 gallon tank, she uses a burrow and climbs the corkbark as well, very awesome looking species shes my fav t i have, like everyone else has said they are very quick and what makes it worse is they no problem running up glass like a pokie,i've also seen her goe into threat pose but only after she could'nt run away, they look so aboreal its awesome, i've read that they are usualy found 6 - 9 feet in trees and that they build very hard to find in the wild, heres some pretty good links about c. shioedtei:

http://ub8.homepagetools.com/brumtarantulas/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=photos&Post=10

http://www.petbugs.com/chatroom/8-18-01_chat.html

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had asked Rick Wesy about these before I purchased mine. He said they are very opportunistic depending on how you set them up, they will burrow if given the opportunity and are also found in their native environment in hollows in trees.

Andy