How do you get them to use their hides?

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, my Lividum won't use her hide and won't burrow either but she has already placed a lot of webbing down, I'm worried about her feeling unsafe everytime I open her cage to feed her crickets because she begins to hide under her legs at the slightest disturbance. Its also a problem on my part because her webbing reaches up to the lid so when I open it up she mistakes the movement for food and she might escape when she feels the outside part of the enclosure.

I'm guessing she got used to not using hides or not being provided with a lot of substrate to burrow in before I bought her. She doesn't have problems with her temperament, in being a bitch and shes a very active eater. So any suggestions? :eek:

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Start a hole for her.

Just stick your thumb into the substrate and the T will do the rest!

If your smart, you will stick the hole next to the wall of the enclosure so you can see her.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can alwais bury half a plant pot (like its an underground cave) and push them to next of it so she finds it easier. It looks pretty cool if done right :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A starter borrow will take care of that. She may not expand it right away but if you make her a hole deeper than her body is long she'll almost certainly use it to hide.

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I made a starter hole for my Rosie under a cute little bridge decoration just as others have said above and I haven't seen him in 3 months. Good luck :)

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Make a hole for her, I always dig the hole where I want and deep enough. Then I placed the Lividum/ M. Robustum to where the hole is at and scare them to get in. Once there in, they make the home like its theres and even dig deeper.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Start a hole for her.

Just stick your thumb into the substrate and the T will do the rest!

If your smart, you will stick the hole next to the wall of the enclosure so you can see her.
If you're even smarter you'll use a pen...

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Had a similar problem with a recently rehoused larger female.

We started a deep hole in the centre of the enclosure, plopped a coconut hide over top the hole. We then placed a tea towel over the encolsure for a day or so.

Within two days she had adopted the hole as a hide, within a week she had a huge chamber using one side of the KK.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This crossed my mind.... Avoid using your hand.....

I also wanted to mention making the hole near the side ofthe container. However, my lividium loves her privacy and she laid some heavy webbing over the plastic... that little bum.... >:-(

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If, after starting a burrow, the T still will not use it you can try putting a small clump of sphagnum moss in the corner. Use enough for the T to hide under it. I've found that they will hide under it, web a little bit and get comfortable enough to start digging.

mafiamike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've found that a harsh tone of voice and the occasional yelling will get them to hide like they're supposed to.

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HAHAHAHAHA, yeah that is probably a better idea with a lividum.

I apparently forgot to mention that you probably wouldn't want to stick your hand in the Ts liar, you may want to remove said T prior to using your thumb.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've found that a harsh tone of voice and the occasional yelling will get them to hide like they're supposed to.
Yup, you can expedite their movements by blowing on them alot and some furious spraying with a water bottle. ;P

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HAHAHAHAHA, yeah that is probably a better idea with a lividum.

I apparently forgot to mention that you probably wouldn't want to stick your hand in the Ts liar, you may want to remove said T prior to using your thumb.
Yes, lest it remove your thumb. ;)

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
UPDATE!!

I did what all of you said, the starter hole didn't go well. She didn't know what to do with it :?

So, i figured just to nudge her into a hide. First attempt failed, she went in but immediately went back to her previous pad. The second attempt was a success because she really went in it and not long she started to put webbing but now she's sealing her self in. Anyway, thanks guys! :D

A thing I've observed here is that, she acts very docile like a smithi when It comes to thin sticks. She goes exactly where I want her to be. With a brush it's a VERY different story.

I'm really happy now that she's in her hide because there won't be any difficulty opening the cage anymore, ohh and more amazing cricket feedings :D
Thanks again:D