When T's bite

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard a lot of stories in the Bite reports of T's climbing up the brush or tongs and tagging people on the hand. So far I've only experienced them climbing up and running out. What I'm pondering about is that, do T's know what a hand is? and that they know its the one holding the brush so they go for the hand instead. Looking for some clarification:?

I don't wanna learn it the hard way :D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T's have extremely fast reflexes. I suspect they run up the tongs, with the intention either of attacking or escaping, but as long as they are running on the tongs they can feel an taste it with their feet. When they hit soft skin that tastes like people they know they are on something biteable, and if they are in that mood, they go for it. Since it all happens so fast it probably seems like they know where your hands are, but given their eyesight, I suspect they don't know your hand is there until they arrive.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What I'm pondering about is that, do T's know what a hand is?
Tarantulas probably do not have any idea what a hand is, since they themselves do not have hands and have no reason to recognize a hand or its functions. What they CAN recognize is that it's part of a large, living animal...but like gvfarns said, their eyesight is pretty crappy so they probably don't realize they're about to be on another creature until they're already on you.

They probably don't even know what a brush is/what tongs are. It's just something that pokes them, but doesn't bleed if they bite it. For their purposes, that's the only part that matters.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
This is why I don't handle my OWers until they are out of their enclosures. I have touched my P. regalis whilst it was in it's enclosure and it "tried" to bite me, eactly like it would a roach.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they can feel an taste it with their feet. When they hit soft skin that tastes like people they know they are on something biteable, and if they are in that mood, they go for it.
Can Ts taste with their feet? To my knowledge they can smell with their feet.

So, imo they could only know that they are on a bite-able surface by vibrations or smell.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, thanks guys. With this I'll be more careful with my OW species but, lets say a basic handling routine with them, you get them on your hand and they seem more calm on it, by any chance would they still bite the surface they're on?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
by any chance would they still bite the surface they're on?
If you're asking if a tarantula will decide not to bite you just because they're standing on you, the answer is a great big NO. :D If they're going to bite you, they're going to bite you.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're asking if a tarantula will decide not to bite you just because they're standing on you, the answer is a great big NO. :D If they're going to bite you, they're going to bite you.
Ok, Thanks again :D

Luckily, my lividum prefers to run and hide and not bite at all but if I'm going to keep more bitey T's, I was thinking of a suit or really thick gloves at least :D

There were instances that looked like she was gonna tag me fortunately she didn't. I just hope my luck doesn't run out :rolleyes:

See you guys on the bite thread :D :}