going to florida

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm not sure where to put this but..
i might be going to florida around april and while i'm there i'd love to catch some of the local spiders/pedes and scorps and wanted to know if there are any laws against it or if i need permits? like i've heard in Texas collecting inverts is considered herping and you need a permit for that. any info on this would be much appriciated

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
anywhere in Florida you can find all kinds of verts, as far as Texas goes ...we collected in July of last year was stopped by fish n game a couple times and from thier own mouths inverts are ok just not herps.
Florida does have laws regarding the sale of inverts in the state but as far as I know no collecting laws. Non native anything down there is encouraged to catch

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In case anyone cares I went to the website for Florida's Department of Fish and Wildlife and have seen nothing about collecting insects.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just came back a couple of days ago from some great spots in Florida and actually approached local cops who were more than happy to advise me on where to find cool stuff. They were a bit baffled that I actually wanted to play with large spiders and the local exotic populations of herps but had no opposition as long as I did it with the landowner's permission.

Floridians are really friendly people and eager to help IME as long as you are polite and respectful.

sygdom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am actually heading down to florida in June, I didn't even think about looking for inverts, that just made the trip that much cooler.