Lasiodora Parahybana refuses to eat?

rejected1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey there, it's very weird. My parahybana sling refuses to eat. It's been a month and a half. :wall:

It looks like a parahybana but it's not a great eater at all. I think my rosea eats better than it. It molted on the 27 Feb. About 1 and a quarter inch now.

Also, I tried to rub mealworm's juice all over it and prodded the worm in front of it. But it just walk off.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Calm down, it'll eat when it gets hungry. It's not even a entire week after it molted, T's can wait months after a molt to eat again.

rejected1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm, okay. But I thought it was weird for Parahybana to refuse eating.

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What instar is it? Or what size is it?
Is it at least 2" LS?
The reason I ask, I have a 2" LS L. parahybana and she is full black, black carapace and pink hairs.

It may be getting ready to molt as well.

Don't force it, and remove any unwanted (live and dead) food from its enclosure.

Good luck :)

rejected1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh I think it is at 3rd instar. Not very sure but it's at 1 inch now. Thanks. I will not force it.

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yep, probably just post-molt. Also the substrate looks quite dry to me. Maybe that's the dry side of it's terrarium, but remember this is a tropical species...

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also, I tried to rub mealworm's juice all over it and prodded the worm in front of it.
This is a terrible idea. The more you pester and harass an animal, the more stressed it's going to be. That's not going to force it to eat. You cannot force a tarantula to eat.

Hmm, okay. But I thought it was weird for Parahybana to refuse eating.
Parahybana are good eaters...for tarantulas. That doesn't mean they want to - or that they can - eat all day every day. They need to rest and fast sometimes too.

And yeah I'd give it a little more dampness too.

rejected1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh, I didn't realise that. I thought this spp. loves it bone dry. I guess I should dampen it a little.

And thanks, I will never do that again! NEVER rub food on them again. Lol.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T's usually take a couple of weeks to start wanting to eat again. Even at this age. In a couple of days it will be eating again, guaranteed.

Also, it seems to me like after they molt and significantly increase in size it takes them a second to figure out that they can eat bigger bugs now.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I didn't realise that. I thought this spp. loves it bone dry. I guess I should dampen it a little.

This is an amazonian species, how could it like it bone dry? :?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my usually voracious 2 inch LP sling refused food feeding before last, so I assumed pre-molt, but offered again anyways at the next feeding, and she took it no problem.

If your sling doesn't eat at one feeding, it doesn't hurt to skip that feeding, and try again next time. No need to get worried unless they start losing weight.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I'd like to add that pretty much all slings should have moist substate. Even desert species need moisture when they're tiny. The LP will enjoy a humid setting all its life, as has already been mentioned.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd like to add that pretty much all slings should have moist substate. Even desert species need moisture when they're tiny. The LP will enjoy a humid setting all its life, as has already been mentioned.
Bingo. Well, not sooo humid for adults, but...