Usambara Orange Baboon Tarantula

deansie26

Arachnopeon
Usambara Orange Baboon Tarantula Tank

Hey, ive got a Usambara Orange Baboon Tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus) coming soon-its a spiderling so wont need to get tank for a while but want to ask use guys a few questions if that ok. Ive got a Chile Rosea (Grammostola rosea) at the moment and he's (i think) kept in a exo terra terrarium http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-17384-exo-terra-reptile-glass-terrarium-vivarium-30x30x30cm.aspx

Ive read that the orange Baboon can be kept in both types of tank-normal ground dwelling tank or vertical type, is this true? What do they prefer?

If ground dwelling type would i be better getting a tank where access is from above or would a vivariam sliding door type be ok? Im thinking access from top might be more suitable for this type.

Reply's are greatly appriciated

Last edited:

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as I know these T's are semi-aborial but may have a slight preference for small burrows. Be careful rehousing them by all accounts they are super fast and pack a nasty bite. Look up the effects on the bite reports. treat this particular speicies with respect and you should not have a problem. Or so I have been told.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT's have always like to burrow so I give them plenty of substrate to dig in. The first OBT I ever had years ago moved higher in its cage the older it got. It webbed one of the top corners heavily and stayed there most of the time. Since yours is small I bet it will want to burrow though. The female I have now even has a couple tunnels that she will ambush bugs from. They will web, or dig, a home to their liking. They like it dry though so don't mist too heavily. I have a paper towel tube in my girl's tank right now and she has made it her main burrow. It also makes it easy to move them if you plug one end before hand. All you have to do is block the other end and take the tube out. Since her tank is so dry I haven't had any problems with the paper.

Locutus

Arachnopeon
Mine are slings (around 3,5-4 cm legspan) and they prefer to create web tunnels without really digging into the substrate. They have some wood fragments as 'enclosure furniture' and use them as a starting point to build the nest. They made several entrances and usually rest over their silk houses. They have a deep enough susbtrate to dig but it seems that they do not like it to do so...

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find that they will do whatever is most convenient for the enclosure setup. If you lay a piece of cork bar of plastic plants over one corner mine will always web up that area for a hide. If I put nothing in the enclosure and use very dry substrate, they will burrow.

deansie26

Arachnopeon
thanx

Cheers for the advice etc everyone, think ill go with the ground dwelling set-up. And the toilet roll idea sounds good mate. Just wondering who of you use the exo terra front door type of tank and who use the aquariam type with access from roof?

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 1" OBT is in a half/half cube with about 2.5" of substrate and 5.5" of vertical w/corkbark.
It has webbed up the corkbark and I have yet to see it on the ground.
Being that its semi-arboreal, I gave it the choice to go either way, and it has remained up high.
Just fod for thought.

This is my only OBT, and I am by no means an authority on the subect!

deansie26

Arachnopeon
Cheers

My 1" OBT is in a half/half cube
Being that its semi-arboreal, I gave it the choice to go either way,
In a half/half cube? Size

Thanx thou, I will give it the option also.
Will be funny, cant wait for it. My Rosea never climbs thou is quite active.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ive got a Chile Rosea (Grammostola rosea) at the moment and he's (i think) kept in a exo terra terrarium http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-17384-exo-terra-reptile-glass-terrarium-vivarium-30x30x30cm.aspx
I know this isn't what you asked, but that's really not a good enclosure for a terrestrial spider like G. rosea. :( They need no more than about 1.5 times their own legspan from dirt to ceiling for safety purposes (falls can kill them), and with a front-opening door you can't get the substrate that high.

If OBTs can go semi-arboreal, I'd honestly suggest buying your G. rosea a shorter enclosure and saving the front-opening one for when your new baby gets bigger.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know this isn't what you asked, but that's really not a good enclosure for a terrestrial spider like G. rosea. :( They need no more than about 1.5 times their own legspan from dirt to ceiling for safety purposes (falls can kill them), and with a front-opening door you can't get the substrate that high.

If OBTs can go semi-arboreal, I'd honestly suggest buying your G. rosea a shorter enclosure and saving the front-opening one for when your new baby gets bigger.
Mushroom is correct, however, I have had my large Red Phase G. Rosea female in the exact same ExoTerra enclosure for nearly 3 years with no problems. Not that this is the correct or safest enclosure type for her but it's worked well for a long time. If you find your Rosea climbs the glass often, allow the substrate to dry out a bit more. I find that my Roseas never climb the glass if the substrate isn't too damp so the risk of a fall is minimal. Actually, my Rosea and my A. Seemanni love to dig up the rocks I put under the substrate when it's not too damp. Gives them something to do I guess...

deansie26

Arachnopeon
thanx

My 1" OBT is in a half/half cube with about 2.5" of substrate and 5.5" of vertical w/corkbark.
It has webbed up the corkbark and I have yet to see it on the ground.
Being that its semi-arboreal, I gave it the choice to go either way, and it has remained up high.
Just fod for thought.

This is my only OBT, and I am by no means an authority on the subect!
Thanx for the reply, your set-up looks great, defo take some ideas from it :)

deansie26

Arachnopeon
advice

Thanx for the advice muschroom, you are right in what you are saying. Ive had my rosea in the tank since I got it. In the whole time i have had him/her she hasn't climbed the glass-prefers to dig. Ill keep her there for time being but if habits change i will surley change tank. Thanks again

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBT's are unbelievably tough. They'll take whatever you give them for an enclosure and make it their own as long as it's dry.

I keep mine in an old coffee can with broken glass as substrate and barbed wire to climb on. I feed her one small orphan a month and she seems very happy. {D {D {D

Last edited:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OBT's are unbelievably tough. They'll take whatever you give them for an enclosure and make it their own as long as it's dry.

I keep mine in an old coffee can with broken glass as substrate and barbed wire to climb on. I feed her one small orphan a month and she seems very happy. {D {D {D
No keeper hands to fang?