Calcium - How Bad Is Bad?

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey peeps.

I read on some posts that calcium is a strict no-no for Ts. Something along the lines that it causes 'arthritis'?

Just curious tho about the effects of calcium, can anyone shed some light on this?

By the way, if the crickets aren't to be dusted with calcium, is it a good or bad thing to dust it with multivitamins then?

*On a side note, my Ts do not get calcium-dusted crickets or multivitamins. Those are strictly for my beardies! Ts at my place get au naturale crickets!*

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey peeps.

I read on some posts that calcium is a strict no-no for Ts. Something along the lines that it causes 'arthritis'?

Just curious tho about the effects of calcium, can anyone shed some light on this?

By the way, if the crickets aren't to be dusted with calcium, is it a good or bad thing to dust it with multivitamins then?

*On a side note, my Ts do not get calcium-dusted crickets or multivitamins. Those are strictly for my beardies! Ts at my place get au naturale crickets!*
Lol no not arthritis. If I remember correctly it was along the lines of calcium hardens the chitin and creates molting problems for the T. That's the last theory I've read on the subject anyway.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I jump on this thread and it's about minerals?!!! I assumed...
Yes Matt, you did assume. Need I say what it means to assume? :razz:

To the OP, theres been a lot of debate about this on the boards... run a thread search, centering around the feeding of vertibrates to Ts (IE mice). There's a lot of other crap to wade through (is it ethical, safe, necessary, etc) but there is some decent discussion about the whole calcium thing.

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what I have read about this on the boards it seems to be more anecdotal reports than anything else. I would love to see some serious arcticle on this though... One thing is sure al naturale crickets is what your T needs, dusting them won't change much.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I have read about this on the boards it seems to be more anecdotal reports than anything else.
This is correct!

I would love to see some serious article on this though...
As would I.

This topic originally started coming up quite a few years back, when Darrin Vernier spoke of his concerns with T. blondi. He (as I recall) felt that feeding them vertebrate prey was resulting in an increased number of spiders losing their fangs during a molt. At the time, I think he intended to look more into this, but I have no idea if he ever did.

There's quite a few threads here on AB about this topic.

Eric

Last edited:

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If I remember correctly it was along the lines of calcium hardens the chitin and creates molting problems for the T. That's the last theory I've read on the subject anyway.
Here's the structure of chitin. Notice calcium is not a component.

Attachments

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This topic originally started coming up quite a few years back, when Darrin Vernier spoke of his concerns with T. blondi. He (as I recall) felt that feeding them vertebrate prey was resulting in an increased number of spiders losing their fangs during a molt. At the time, I think he intended to look more into this, but I have no idea if he ever did.

There's quite a few threads here on AB about this topic.

Eric
Yep, I do believe this is the origin of the debate. I heard Darrin discuss this a few years ago and at that time he was saying that he was going to do a more formal study on the matter. Here was a fairly decent discussion on the topic.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's the structure of chitin. Notice calcium is not a component.
Right. I was just repeating an early theory thrown out here on the boards. Is there any way calcium could interfere with the natural composition of chitin?

EDIT: I looked at the thread linked and that seems to be along the lines of what I remembered. Chitin supposedly interfering with the hardening of the exuvium. Something like that.

zwd22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am fairly certain that the way calcium cause trouble has something to do with nerves. I believe that calcium triggers the release of neurotransmitters from the axon terminals of the neuron. A high concentration might lead to the neuron firing too much. In human the majority of the calcium we need in our diet is not for nervous system but for building bones. Since Ts don't have a need for calcium for the most part, it'll be like people getting wayyy more iron or some other thing we don't need a lot of than they need which will cause harm(just an analogy).

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought crickets awhile ago at Petsmart. The guy that scooped them out and put them in a bag asked, "What are you feeding?"
I said, "A couple of tarantulas".
He said "Would you like to get them calcium-dusted?"
I said no.
He then tried to tell me that calcium-deficient Tarantulas can get some kind of arthritis. {D {D {D (I silently laughed to myself)
Some of those people are quite the BS-ers.
Are you talking about this? I posted this in the "Funny things heard at pet stores" for a reason. :eek:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am fairly certain that the way calcium cause trouble has something to do with nerves. I believe that calcium triggers the release of neurotransmitters from the axon terminals of the neuron. A high concentration might lead to the neuron firing too much. In human the majority of the calcium we need in our diet is not for nervous system but for building bones. Since Ts don't have a need for calcium for the most part, it'll be like people getting wayyy more iron or some other thing we don't need a lot of than they need which will cause harm(just an analogy).
In that case could excessive calcium be an underlying cause of dyskinetic syndrome? (just throwing that out there)

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Calcium ions are fundamental to the conduction of nerve impulses and muscle contraction. So, the amounts required by T's will likely be sufficient from what's available in unaltered crickets.

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what ive read around online...
Calcium will cause molting problems because its harder for Ts to shed their skeleton.

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd love to know who's out there saying this, since for one thing tarantulas don't have bones. {D
ahaha. someone made a joke outta calcium-dusted crickets from petstores.
in the topic 'funny things heard at the petstores' i think.

anyway, so its generally better to avoid calcium, so erm, how about dusting with multivitamins for carnivores? unnecessary as well?

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If im not mistaken the calcium story is about Scorpion not T's.
Pandinus gave an explenation or theory (i dont remember), if i find it ill post it here.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ahaha. someone made a joke outta calcium-dusted crickets from petstores.
in the topic 'funny things heard at the petstores' i think.

anyway, so its generally better to avoid calcium, so erm, how about dusting with multivitamins for carnivores? unnecessary as well?
Yup. I even quoted it and put it in this thread.

They don't get extra vitamins or minerals in the wild, but since I feed with less variety than mother nature, I offer all my reptiles with supplemental vitamins and minerals. Reptile breeders often supply breeding females with extra calcium.