funny story

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I walk into the invert room and look at my haitians. They all seem ok except for one who is half out the hole on top of his cup. I didn't thik they could reach it. Well, I thought he was dead honestly becuase he wasn't moving at all and the part that was still in the container looked somewhat shriveled. I thought, "Well I will just blow on him a bit and see if he is ok." Big mistake! Not only was he ok but he was mad at me for this! I yelled for my other half to come and assist in removing a stuck, angry centipede from a container hole...He has a new cage now!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, I had the same thing happen, ..a few weeks ago. How'd W rescue it? I walked in the room and I looked over and for a sec I thought, "what's going there?" An adult Sc h arizonensis had gotten halfway out and got stuck in the hole in the top. I took the container outside and used a scalpel to make the hole bigger. The pede was in a real bad mood so I let her walk it off in the backyard for while:rolleyes: .

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i got these tiny scizzors but he managed to get himself out...i think once he had someone standing over him and ha more to grab ahold of he was ok...still surprising

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rule of thumb ...for keeping giant pedes in general. No hole(S) larger than an 8th inch should be made ANYWHERE through the pedes enclosure. Nor should small holes be clustered too close together. A pede (edit)could break fangs digging at holes that get its attention as possible escapes. They will attempt to squeeze thru even 1/4" small holes in hard plastic, sometimes (as observed above) getting themselves lodged in tight ...sometimes escaping.
I had a biggy in a temp situation..old critter keeper for a day once. The damn critter keeper lids are the first part of the enclosure to get hard and brittle. Mine tore through the vents with vengeance ...snapping away at each one til she could squeeze herself through. Lucky in my situation, the entire keeper was being stored in a 30gal tank ...she ended up wandering the tank bottom ...damaged from the Houdini style escape.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine was in a temp too, got lazy. I think the situation is that they keep babies in fairly tall delis with a feed hole at the top that is plenty big for them to go through but there is no way they can reach it. I use the same method and it works great. The problem is that time goes by and you don't notice that they get big enough to reach the hole eventually, so if you use that method for babies, you need to take a look register the growth of the pede as the months go by and re-house it before it gets too big or seal the hole. I agree with your suggested idea for hole size for big pedes though, makes sense. I don't worry about pedes breaking their fangs under their own force though. Out of the 100s of pedes I've had I never have seen that happen before, but that might be because of how I keep them. But it seems odd that they would break their fangs under their own force even when desperate, unless they got caught somehow. Just going by my own exp, never happened over here. Have you seen that happen? How do you think it did if you've seen it, was it the critterkeeper?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry (good ya called me out on that)...should have been a "could" instead of a "will" in that sentence. :rolleyes: ;) Heard of it happening ..obviously NOT common. Had a tiger break off one when chewing through some plastic and panicking while I was investigating. I had another tiger break one off in me while i was trying to get its fangs out of me.(first real pede...my fault..it was really stuck and it hurt :D )
So..my conclusion is that they CAN get caught up (esp..in our new fangled materials we keep them in) and they could break fangs or injure themselves via hyper extension or whatnot.
Whats important here though imo is that they will chew at possible escapes to make them bigger, thus amping the odds of escape and even possible injury. And, they CAN wriggle themselves thru some surprisingly small openings. Seems to be the very nature of pedes ...its what they do! :D

Critter Keeper escapee of mine did so by snapping the brittle vents of the lid ...one by one.. until she had enough loose to force her way through the broken vent bars. Damage to the pede consisted of raked off tissue and a missing leg or 2 ...found one leg anyway. Sometimes its more difficult to back out of a tight spot than to just proceed forward. ...freedom with some consequences.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not a big fan of KKs. I can think of some stuff I might keep in them like maybe some bigger spiders, Praying mantis, stuff like that. I bet they make a huge profit on those. I'm real lazy about letting stuff get loose, it's why I don't keep hot snakes. I just found the remains of two big roaches piled on top of each other in one of my closets about an hour ago, maybe one of the things I've lost in the past is still hanging around. One time I found a pede that got lose 3 months later, walking across the floor, I'll never forget that.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had produced these myself so i think i got comfortable with them in their temporary comtainers...we are in upgrade process now