reactions to urticating hair

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, it seems as though ive developed some rather alarming reactions to urticating hair. now whenever im exposed to it my eyes get swollen, i develope a rash of hives and my breathing gets somewhat labored. i think im allergic to my nw t's:( . anyone whos interested, ill be selling/trading my entire nw collection in the classifieds. its mostly basic t's, with a couple less common ones. looks like im an ow man from here on out.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
What about alergy medcations?? Have you tried claritin or any of the histimine blockers?? Man I would hate to have to give up NW's cuz of that. THere are all kinds of meds out there, something has to work.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thats the wierd thing. ive always used benedryl and other antihistamines with great effectiveness. this time i took a double dose of it and it didnt even drop the swelling a little. as for meds, i really cant afford another monthly bill no matter how small. im sure theres a way around getting rid of the nw t's, but this has been in the making anyway. just the straw that broke the camels back.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dude, I haven't got as bad as yourself, however I definately seem to be getting worse and worse. That is the major reason why I have started to consider Psalmopoeus cambridgei, Tapinauchenius, and even some old worlders. It probably won't be long until I decide to sell off my urticating beasties.

Anyone up for A. geniculata?

Jon

Here is a picture of a rash that I got today when my L. parahybana ran up my arm. I posted a pic on a different thread earlier, but now the rash is more pronounced:

Last edited:

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I sufffer to sometimes,but white gardening gloves are great you should not have a problem then!As for your eyes ive never got them in my eyes,you can normally see the cloud of hairs coming so duck out of the way next time:D
All the best

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don`t really like urticating hairs but who does ???
When i ever see them scratch i`m like oh,Shnap!=D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm rapidly abandoning NW tarantulas for OW ones.
Anyone want to by a nice little Cyclosternum fasciatum? :p

Type II urticators like E cyanognathus and Avicularia are fine, I can avoid those ones :)

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
When you say exposed to it, do you mean when you walk into the room, when you handle them, or when you clean their cages?
I have a severe allergy to my Nhandu coloratovillosus (Anastasia), and the only time I ever have a reaction is when I invade her space without proper precautions. I have had severe reactions to her, but can't see giving her up.

Kelly (L_mac)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At this point in time, I'm not having problems being in the same room my spiders. My biggest reactions come from handling them and cage cleaning. Obviously the easiest way to avoid the problem with this is to not handle the spiders and to wear gloves when cleaning.

Although, I did get haired all over my chest a week ago. That sucked. I'm just now feeling relief from the itching - key word starting. That happened because I was moving my A. geniculata into a fresh 10 gallon tank. She really didn't want to be bothered and released a cloud of hairs. Since I've never really been bothered by this form of hair delivery, I didn't bother getting out of the way. I always just thought that the hairs fly around the tank and settle back in there. Uh - no. I think that it hit my wide spread, as I didn't get a rash. I just itched like a mofo for a week.

So at this point in time, I'm not having the type of reactions that Lycanthrope is having...

In regards to Type II urticating hairs. They have to be rubbed on you right? And as far as the urticating hairs on the Avicularia species, they are on the top of the abdomen right? So in reality, you can even let them walk on you without too much of a problem. Is this correct?

Jon

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah Jon, those pics look like what i got several months ago. each time it got a little worse. it never really got that bad with any t as much as the T. blondi. those last few times really sucked bad, especially the eye. my hands still itched today while i was washing dishes at the deli. thats from packing the t's to send to Botar last week, that damn blondi got me again. as i said before, seems as though hot water irritates the site up to 3 weeks after the initial contact.