M vs F Webbing Ability

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I have 10 versicolors, 2 sets of 3, and 1 set of 4.
Each set are the same size, same source.
In each set I notice the webs produced, and the differences among them.
Would it be reasonable to assume that its females building the more elaborate, clean, attractive webs- as compared to males being the ones that build the more sporadic, substrate-filled, haphazard webs?
Are some Ts, of a given species, more genectically prone to build nice, pretty webs and others are more prone to build the ghetto webs?

I notice this same thing going on with my tiny amazonica slings as well, and theres 6 of those from the same source.

What makes me think its the sex, is that I had a large confirmed female that built the pretty-type web, tho I havent had a large male to compare.
However, I have a single regalis(rainforest arboreal T, just from a diff country . . .) that I suspect will be male because it is always extremely lanky and is growing really fast, and that T builds the ghetto webs.

Here is an example of what I am talking about . . .

In the first shot is a set of 3 from the same source, same time, all that. The outer cages have the dirty, sporadic webbings, while the 1 in the middle has a beautiful, "tunnelly" web.

Heres the LEFT

MIDDLE

Right

Sorry, the closeups are sideways, I forgot to turn them . . .

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i think the males and females act the same for quite awhile, up until maturity. at that size, i don't think there are much differences in webbing for males or females.

i do, however, believe that tarantulas have it in their genetics to web more or web less. even the littlest things are determined by genetics.

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sex them next molt and find out. I doubt it has anything to do with sex...probably more to do with the layout of their "Habitat" or something.

Struckanerve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have thought about this as well. the only thing that i could think of that would support this, is that the female is more likely to stay put. so she might make a better "home" while the male will wonder. which doesnt need a perminant home... only thing i could come up with. lol

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually I have a 1.75-2" versicolor confirmed female and she builds webs in which she webs substrate in to her home on purpose I think it may be for camoflouge or some thing but I don't think it is related to sex.

eos

Arachnopeon
Damn dude... your collection sky rocketed within weeks! lol... nice to see you've got things under control though. Good to see that you changed your name too... makes it less confusing in between forums. lol

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have thought about this as well. the only thing that i could think of that would support this, is that the female is more likely to stay put. so she might make a better "home" while the male will wonder. which doesnt need a perminant home... only thing i could come up with. lol
This was also included in my reasoning.
I think that the females build a "home", while the males just throw up a "campsite".

Eos, yeah!
Im done with those guys at FF, the admin is a joke.
They deleted a bunch of my posts . . .
Ya gotta watch the language here, youll lose points for the "D" word . . . :rolleyes: